Author Topic: Lookup for Monumental Inscriptions in Kilmarnock  (Read 5185 times)

Offline petercstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup for Monumental Inscriptions in Kilmarnock
« on: Wednesday 26 June 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone is currently doing lookups for Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kilmarnock and Loudoun District, edited by Alastair and Margaret Beattie. I know that several people have offered this in the past, but I haven't been able to get a hold of them.

I am looking for James Stevenson (c. 1790 - c. 1845) and Janet Francis Allan (1786 - 1840), whom I believe are buried together in the Laigh Kirk Churchyard in Kilmarnock.

Thanks so much,

Peter Stevenson

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for Monumental Inscriptions in Kilmarnock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 June 13 08:13 BST (UK) »
Couldn't see them under the churchyard mentioned. Will have a scan through the rest of the book later when I have more time to do so.

S_L

Offline petercstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 June 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking. I found the Laigh Kirk reference on an old web site of headstone photos called monaghan95.freeserve.co.uk. The information could be wrong, and the web site isn't there any more.

The last records that I have for James Stevenson and Janet Francis (or Frances) Allan are in Riccarton, so that would probably be the next place to check.

Thank you,

Peter Stevenson

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 June 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
No success I'm afraid, nearest candidate was a James Stevenson born at Kilmarnock in 1788, died in 1871.

Offline petercstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 June 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
Well, that could be him. Is there any further information about him, or just his dates? Is he also buried in Kilmarnock?

The 1845 death date is a total guess based only on the fact that I couldn't find him in the 1851 census and that all but one of his children moved to Canada in 1846.

Any luck on his wife, Janet Frances Allan? I am a lot more confident about her 1840 death date, since she came from a famous family (related to Hugh Allan and Robert Burns).

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
St Andrews churchyard,  Kilmarnock
James Stevenson,  born Kilmarnock 4 Jan 1788, d. 7 Dec 1871. Wife Ellen hay mccrae 15 Jan 1922, 76 of his son, John Vallance Stevenson 12 may 1905, 81? Son, David Stevenson,  minister of Eday, Orkney & Presbytery clerk , North isles, born Kilmarnock 12 May 1822 d. 1856. 2nd son David 10 Aug 1901, 27. 5th son Robert 5 Nov 1881 - 6 Dec 1916. 6th son Alexander killed in France 25 Aug. 1918. 34

Also, much earlier in Stewarton Old Church burial ground

Jas Stevenson 24.8.1743 6, Janet 24.8.1746 2m, Robt .6.1776 49 (s. Of robt in thornychapel) also said robt.

None of the Allans listed mentioned a Janet Francis.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Just checked the Burns listings but no mention of anyone you've listed. Maybe you need to look further afield.

Offline petercstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help. There is always the chance that he came to Canada with his children - perhaps I will take another look in Montreal.

Offline petercstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for Monumental Inscriptions in Kilmarnock - SOLVED
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 September 13 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help with this. I contacted the Laigh Kirk in Kilmarnock directly, and it turns out that their grave is there, but for some reason it didn't get properly indexed. In case anyone else is looking into this family, here is the information:

square monument.  James Stevenson, Riccarton, died 23.06 1845 aged 61 years; wife Janet Frances Allan died 9. 12. 1840 aged 52years
3 children died in infancy.