Author Topic: Liberty of the Tower of London  (Read 8241 times)

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liberty of the Tower of London
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 June 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
Interesting thoughts Bookbox.
"The Tower has its own chapel, St Peter ad Vincula, which was for the use of Tower residents and prisoners alike. The registers haven't been deposited but are held at the chapel. You could contact their archive for information."
I actually do have a copy of the marriage certificate and it definitely says  'the Parish Church in the Parish of the Holy Trinity Minories in the Liberty of the Tower of London'. That's a different church?

"On the other hand, if William ATCHISON was a Scotsman, his children may not have been baptised into the Anglican faith at birth. That might explain the later baptisms at Shoreditch, if indeed it is the same family." That's a good point. Maybe the mother's family had them baptised after the parents died.

Ruskie, are you looking at the marriage record on Anc----y? I'll have to wait until I get to the library to see it.

Thanks again,
Tracey.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 June 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
This looks interesting in the light of the "colourman" occupation.

Freedom of the City Admission Papers

Dyers' Hall, 4th March 1829

This is to certify that William Atchison son of David Atchison of Hoxton New Town in the county of Middlesex Dyer and Citizen and Dyer of London

was this day admitted to the Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Dyers, by patrimony.

In the City of London's corresponding record, William is described as having been "born without the Liberty of the City, to wit at Old St Square, St Luke" in 1803.

His father David's admission to the Worshipful Company of Dyers is said to have been dated 1792.  William's claim to be admitted into the Freedom of the City is said to be by Patrimony, in the said company of Dyers, "because he is legitimate, and was born after the admission of his Father into the said Freedom".
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 June 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
That's a different church?

Yes. The chapel is within the Tower itself. It's a possible place of baptism for someone whose father was a Warden in the Tower (if you want to pursue that lead). The records are not online, as explained above.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 June 13 12:30 BST (UK) »
avm,
That is a really interesting find. I'm not sure I fully understand what it all means, but do you think that somehow the Atchison familes connection and close proximity to the Tower of London, along with this Freedom of the City, may have somehow been misinterpreted by later generations?  :-\

Tracey - I take it you will be visiting the Tower when you are in London?  ;D (and yes, I did see the marriage entry)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 June 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

London births and baptisms on Anc....y has this baptism
20th Jul 1835 at St Leonard Shoreditch
Elizabeth Ann Atchison-born 29th Sept 1820. Father William(deceased) Mother Elizabeth(deceased)  Holywell Lane. Trade/Profession Colourman

Also on the same day
Christiana Atchison born 29th May 1819 - same parents, address and occupation
Eliza Georgiana born 3rd Oct 1824 - same parents, address and occupation

Jay

I've been going around in circles looking for the deceased parents William and Elizabeth, (found possible deaths, possible 1841 census but children did not match) - then I discovered that mother is ANN! Other details are correct as per the original baptism records.

I also found an earlier baptism:
Christ Church with St Mary & St Stephen Spitalfields
Mary Ann daur of William and Ann
born Mar 11 1814
chr 11 Oct 1834
Lower Krate(? :-\) Street
Colour-maker

So it looks like they weren't in a hurry to christen Mary either ... parents are not said to be deceased at this baptism - so they both must have died between 17 Oct 1834 and 20 July 1835.  :-\

Offline frogspawn4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 June 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Whoops. Sorry about the incorrect posting. I think I must have looked at the entry above the Atchison entries and took the mothers name from there.   :-[

Jay
Jaques:London and Wiltshire
Little: Alderton, Wiltshire
Tooke:Lowestoft,Suffolk
Lines:Spexhall,Suffolk
Taaffe:London and Ireland
Browne: Rotherhithe, London
Thorpe: Manthorpe,Lincs
Carrot: Lincs

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 June 13 02:27 BST (UK) »
Whoops. Sorry about the incorrect posting. I think I must have looked at the entry above the Atchison entries and took the mothers name from there.   :-[

Jay

;D It's easy to do. Didn't help me much anyway as I couldn't find a marriage for William and Ann or their deaths. I hope I have just missed them and they are hiding there somewhere.  :)

There are a few Atchison families in the area - it would be interesting at a later date to see if they are connected. So your little boo-boo Jay may lead to piecing together other related families.  :)

I am nosey interested to know how both parents died within such a short period of time.

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 June 13 03:23 BST (UK) »
Good morning/evening everyone,

I'm very pleased that you're so keen to help me solve my questions. avm, I'd love to think that you've found 'my' William,

Dyers' Hall, 4th March 1829

This is to certify that William Atchison son of David Atchison of Hoxton New Town in the county of Middlesex Dyer and Citizen and Dyer of London was this day admitted to the Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Dyers, by patrimony.

In the City of London's corresponding record, William is described as having been "born without the Liberty of the City, to wit at Old St Square, St Luke" in 1803.

I think this man would be too young to be the correct one unfortunately. If Mary belongs to them, and she was born in 1814, Elizabeth was born in 1820 and her sister in 1819 and the others later, surely this William can't be their father? 

And if this IS the wrong William, it leaves open the possibility that he's Scottish and he ?? married in Scotland.

It's certainly thrown up a very curious detail. I'm with you Ruskie - how did both parents die in such a short space of time? I've had a look today with what I can use from home (no Anc----y) and can't find any death.

Regards,
Tracey.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 June 13 05:33 BST (UK) »
Good point about the ages not fitting Tracey. These people may be related to your Atchisons though - they have names, abodes and occupations in common.  :)

Someone on the Armed Forces board may be able to help you regarding the likelihood of William being Scottish if he was a "Warrant Officer in a Highland Regiment". I am not sure if it would necessarily follow. Tracey, you might like to start a new post specifically asking about this (maybe provide a link to this thread in case anyone wants background information).