Author Topic: Liberty of the Tower of London  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liberty of the Tower of London
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 June 13 05:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at Pre 1855 Banns and Marriages on Scotlands People, there are only 8 marriages listed for a William A*ch*son to an Ann*. Narrowing that down to a more reasonable time frame of 1810 to 1815 there is only one match.

Of course there is no way of knowing if this is your William and Ann but it might be worth purchasing a couple of credits to view this record.

You might like to widen the search to include other areas of the country - as people usually married in the bride's parish, and Ann could have come from anywhere.  :-\

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 June 13 07:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Ruskie. I'm thinking it would be really helpful (hopefully) to find William's death, but that's proving to be a bit of a 'quest'. I've also tried Aitchison with no success.
I'll keep these other Atchisons in mind, they might fit in somewhere later.
I didn't realise there was an Armed Forces board. I'll put something over there as well.
Tracey.

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 30 June 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Is it odd that on some records, William is listed as 'deceased' but on Elizabeth's marriage record, which is later than the records that say he's deceased, he's not?
Was the fact that someone was deceased not noted on all future records ie, children's marriages? Just a thought - because I'm struggling to find his death with even such a small window.
Tracey.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 June 13 09:48 BST (UK) »

If the question wasn't asked or the information offered then William would appear on Elizabeth's marriage certificate as "colormaker". 

It could be that William died when the children were very young with his wife dying much later.   :-\

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frogspawn4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 June 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
I've found a burial at Christchurch Spitalfields on 21 Sept 1828 - William Hatchison - aged 57. I think Spitalfields was within the Tower jurisdiction. This is on the NBI.

Jay

Jaques:London and Wiltshire
Little: Alderton, Wiltshire
Tooke:Lowestoft,Suffolk
Lines:Spexhall,Suffolk
Taaffe:London and Ireland
Browne: Rotherhithe, London
Thorpe: Manthorpe,Lincs
Carrot: Lincs

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 June 13 12:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jay, you need to speak s-l-o-w-l-y to me....... What is the NBI??
Good detective work, thanks. Illiteracy rates were high. I thought of Aitchison and Atkinson, but not Hatchison.
Tracey.

Offline frogspawn4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 June 13 13:11 BST (UK) »
NBI is  The National Burial Index. I bought the latest edition on CD thinking that it would help me track down some of my relatives burial places, but I think I have found more of my friends ancestors than I have mine.
It doesn't give much more info just that it is from the City of London Burial Index Parish Register. I don't know if the original will have that last address of this William or his occupation, so that you could ascertain if he is yours.

Jay
Jaques:London and Wiltshire
Little: Alderton, Wiltshire
Tooke:Lowestoft,Suffolk
Lines:Spexhall,Suffolk
Taaffe:London and Ireland
Browne: Rotherhithe, London
Thorpe: Manthorpe,Lincs
Carrot: Lincs

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 June 13 13:12 BST (UK) »

If the question wasn't asked or the information offered then William would appear on Elizabeth's marriage certificate as "colormaker". 

It could be that William died when the children were very young with his wife dying much later.   :-\

Nanny Jan

Anything is possible Nanny Jan, however neither parent was said to be "deceased" at the baptism of daur Mary Ann on 17th Oct 1834 whereas both were dead when the other girls were christened  on 20 July 1835. It may have just come down to the fact that one vicar recorded a parent as deceased and another did not. It is advisable not to assume too much I suppose.  :)

Offline Just Jen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Christian Try - Elizabeth Ann Atchison
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping to contact Laceytreigh.  My son is a direct descendant of John Christian Try.  I have only just found your post.  I can tell you that Elizabeth Ann Atchison's father was a collar maker as I have her marriage cert when she married Angelo Duvry in 1857.  I am interested in chatting about the family and am hoping you could tell me who now has Thomas Try's diary as I only have an exert written by Ernest Scarlett and I am very keen to see anything written about the Try family.  Hope to hear from you. Just Jen