Author Topic: Estate Research based in Wigan...  (Read 23335 times)

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Estate Research based in Wigan...
« on: Thursday 27 June 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All

My dad has just rung to say he's recieved a letter from the above regarding the family of his mother (d.1979) and her parents, giving details of all 3 in the letter. Had a look at their website and it all seems legit...anyone had any experience of them?..

He's ringing them this morning & keeping me updated!..

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Estate Research based in Wigan...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 June 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't part with any money until you have checked them out!
Is your father trying to trace his family tree?
Seems strange to get a letter out of the blue >:(

Heather

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
I had a phone call out of the blue,and it turned out to be legit,but they hadn't done their research as my mother was in fact the person entitled to the money,not me,check it out properly,the money had been held by the treasury from a distant relative that had died in 1990,this company didn't ask formoney ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
Looking at their website - they appear to be inferring that your father may be a beneficiary in somebody's will via his mother or her family.

Getting info about peoples ancestry is very easy - we do it all the time on this site so your dad needs to ask a lot of questions.

Whose will are they handling

When did that person die and what was their connection to your fathers mother.

Bearing in mind that your grandmother died in 1979 - 34yrs ago - how have they found your fathers address?

It would be easy to find your fathers name from birth registrations - but unless he has a very unusual name/surname tracking him down is more difficult

I should add that I have a VERY suspicious mind  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
This is from the official treasury site,they list all unclaimed wills/probate here have a look for your person,

Probate scams,
Please be aware that there are currently several probate scams in operation,via the internet.
Many of these will inform the recipient that they are a beneficiary of a substantial legacy ,but will ask for fees and or taxes in advance of sending more information or the release of funds,

These will all ways be fraudulent and on no account should you make any payment or transfer any funds,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies!

My dad spoke to the firm on the phone this morning and it seems they are a probate research company similar set-up to Fraser & Fraser....

A researcher is visiting him & my mum tomorrow to talk it through and leave them the paperwork to go through before they proceed.... No upfront fees discussed just a commission based fee if the claim is successful.

I'll not give my notice in at work just yet!!  ;D hopefully a drink at least the next time me & my dad meet up!!

Sarah
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 June 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Sarah that sounds similar to what happened for us,no don't hand in your notice,by the time the distant relatives of ours estate was divided up it was a couple of hundred pounds,there were 44 claims I think,he took commission at the end rather than a fee,so probably got more than my mum,

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 June 13 15:51 BST (UK) »
Check this out for more information.

http://www.bonavacantia.gov.uk/output/estate-faqs.aspx

Once you know who the deceased is there is no reason why you cannot submit your own claim!

Offline dave_44

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 July 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies!

My dad spoke to the firm on the phone this morning and it seems they are a probate research company similar set-up to Fraser & Fraser....

A researcher is visiting him & my mum tomorrow to talk it through and leave them the paperwork to go through before they proceed.... No upfront fees discussed just a commission based fee if the claim is successful.

I'll not give my notice in at work just yet!!  ;D hopefully a drink at least the next time me & my dad meet up!!

Sarah

Hello, Sem73 had the same letter from that company. Were you successful ? i'm in two minds whether to reply or not.