Author Topic: Did John DEAMS wife die, or were they divorced or ?  (Read 12152 times)

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did John DEAMS wife die, or were they divorced or ?
« on: Thursday 27 June 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather John Deam arrived in New Zealand between 1871 (last census recorded in, in England) and 1885. I don’t know where, the first sign of him that I have in NZ is a marriage cert in Waipawa, New Zealand. 

Some background info about him - I have his birth cert, he was born 12 Dec 1853 to Thomas Deam and Mary Deam, formerly James, in the District of Redruth, in the County of Cornwall.  He was a Tin Miner and was with the family still in the 1871 census.

Now, I have his marriage cert to Alice Catherine Hallasey (aged 21, birthplace NZ) at St Peters Church, Waipawa on 23 Feb, 1885. Her parents are Michal Hallasey and Kate Hallasey. Johns (aged 24, birthplace England) father is John (incorrect) Deam and mother Mary Deam, formerly James. On another form, Applications to marry in the Waipawa District, (spelling here is Hallassy) it says for John the length of residence is 5 years and Alice is 12 years (therefore assuming she was born elsewhere?).

The huge problem I have is that he is mentioned, in a newspaper article, as being in Paeroa/Te Aroha in 1887 and they are talking about him being in the area in October 1885 with my great grandmother Sarah. Sarahs mother was quoted as being "an aboriginal woman", her father was from England. I can't find a death for Alice Deam although there is an Alice Dean died 1934 in NZ BDM.  Deams are sometimes written as Dean. Have also tried variations of Hallasey. Is this Alice Deam transcribed incorrectly or did they divorce and she remarried?  I can't find any marriage for John and Sarah so the family has always assumed they lived together as husband and wife? There is a marriage mentioned on his death cert but is this referring to Alice or Sarah.

???   Any help as to why he left Alice and appeared in the Waikato in the same year would be most gratefully received at this stage.    M

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did John DEAMS wife die, or were they divorced or ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 June 13 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Early divorce conditions favoured the male, copying English law of the time. They may not have divorced, only separated.

The history of New Zealand divorce law is here:
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/divorce-and-separation

I suggest that you adopt the working theory that the Alice DEAN who died in 1934 is Alice DEAM, and work to eliminate her. Look for a burial around where they lived; Waipawa, Paeroa, Waikato region generally. Try to avoid buying a death certificate unless you can confirm it's her.

Online Cemeteries are listed here by region:
http://www.clanfraser.org.nz/genealogy/cemeterylinks.html

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 June 13 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hello

Sorry, can't help with information for Alice just yet.

But did you see the newspaper article relating to the death of a George Brewer SIMPSON (1899) ?
It mentions that he, ("Old Geordie" SIMPSON), was the father-in-law of John DEAM of Paeroa.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Ohinemuri Gazette" - 12 July 1899 - page 2

~  Lu

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 June 13 02:54 BST (UK) »

Sarahs mother was quoted as being "an aboriginal woman"

Hi,

Can't help with Alice, but looking at the name of Sarah Simpson's mother, "Riria Hopewai" for the John Deam Family Trees on Ancestry, her name looks like it is Maori, but I stand to be corrected. :-\

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 June 13 02:57 BST (UK) »
...  ooops, apologies ... I somehow misunderstood what you'd written and thought that Sarah was John DEAM's first wife.  Silly of me ... but have it sorted out now.  ;)

Re:  Alice DEAN - died 1934 :   
Someone here with a burial locator can possibly give assistance with place of burial for this lady ?   
And hopefully that may allow you to determine whether she is a likely candidate.

[This Alice DEAN died on 13 December 1934 and it appears that Archives New Zealand hold a probate file for her - dated 1935. ]

~   Lu

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 June 13 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu  :D

Alice Dean aged 67 is located at Kelvin Grove Cemetery.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0uyd/

I don't think it is the Alice that is being searched.    According to the E/R for 1928 for Manawatu/Wanganui the person above their married surname was actually Dean.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 June 13 03:16 BST (UK) »
Divorce was a very expensive option back in the 1880's (and something generally only the wealthy resorted to).    And so when marriages amongst the "working classes" foundered, the parties concerned, usually just moved on into other relationships. 

It seems feasible that John DEAM could have been in Paeroa/Te Aroha in or around October, 1885 - particularly if the marriage to Alice in February 1885 was short-lived.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 June 13 03:18 BST (UK) »
Cheers, KHP.

Yes, I had my doubts it was the Alice being sought.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 June 13 03:28 BST (UK) »
HALLASEY / HALLASY

The parents of Alice ("Michal and Kate") are likely the following couple who are buried at Hawke's Bay - Tikokino (Hampden) Cemetery :

HALLASEY - Michael 84 years - died 22 April 1913

HALLASEY - Catherine (wife) - died 13 August 1920 (85 ? years)

-----------

I did try on the cemetery search facility for Tikokino, looking for an "Alice Catherine" with another surname, but to no avail.

What could be helpful though, is that there is a probate file for Michael HALLASEY held at Archives NZ (in Wellington), which may give details of his children ?
I'm happy to have a look at this file for you, when next at Archives.

~  Lu