Author Topic: Denman - Montecute Somerset  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denman - Montecute Somerset
« on: Thursday 27 June 13 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi hoping someone can help with parent and family information for John Denman born 1780 Huish Episcope Montecute Somerset. John married Frances Long 2 Sep 1803 Huish Episcope Montecute Somerset. John and Frances had children John and Elizabeth. Thanks

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Denman - Montecute Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 13 16:03 BST (UK) »
There is loads of info. on FreeREG for these two surnames. There is a Frances Long baptised 17/6/1770 Mells, Somerset with parents Charles and Sarah-don't know if this is yours or not. However the marriage date for John and Frances is 2/9/1801 in Huish. As I have done input for other counties for FreeREG I am inclined to think this is correct as the info. comes straight from the parish records.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply. I have the parents of Frances as Richard Long and Catherine Turner. Not sure on the baptism date.

Offline macaulay-nickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 September 13 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa
I'm also interest in any information about John Denman (1765 – 1844) & Frances Long (1780 – 1859) - I have them married on 2 Sep 1801. My lineage is via their son John Denman m Harriet Smart, their daughter Harriet Denman m John Evans (d. Australia), their daughter Charlotte Mary Evans m Charles Hutchinson Macaulay (my g-grandfather).

Other information I have is the above John Denman's father as John Denman (1724 – 1786) m Margaret Hutchings (1731 – 1819), his father John Denman (1696 – 1750) m Rebecca Solisbury (1700 – 1760), his father Andrew Denman (1677 – 1741) m Elizabeth..(1678 – 1696) - cannot verify this information atm. If you've been able to gather any further info particularly if you know of Frances' connection with the Long's of Wiltshire which seems interesting to say the least and may answer an old family folklore.

Regards
Cathy, Aus

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Another Child;
AMEY PENNY Denman Baptised 11 Sept 1814, Ss Peter and Paul, Odcombe, Somerset
Parents JOHN/FRANCES
Fathers Occp Labourer
Abode Montecute

Marriage;
29 October 1837, St Catherine, Montecute
MARY Denman, Spinster, Father JOHN Denman, occp Labourer
Samuel HUNT, Bachelor, occp Cordwainer, Father SAMUEL Hunt, occp Labourer
Witnesses, Eli HISCOCK/Grace HUNT

Marriage Reg from FreeBMD
Mary HUNT, Sept 1844, Yeovil, 10 832
James ROBINS on same page

1851 Census
Odcombe, Somerset
HO107/1929/201/5
James ROBINS, 37, Head, Mar, Blacksmith, born Odcombe
MARY, 36, Wife, Mar, born Odcombe
John HUNT, 12, Son in Law (StepSon), Appr Blacksmith, born Odcombe
Charles ROBINS, 4, Son, born Odcombe
William Robins, 2, Son, born Odcombe
Frances DENMAN, 76, Lodger, Widow, Seamstress, born Stockland, Devon***

(She has been transcribed as born Odcombe, Somerset but image is Stockland, Devon)

Amey Penny Denman may have been known as Mary.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 23:47 BST (UK) »
I did not see this post but would like to know more about Frances connection the the Wiltshire Longs as per post. "If you've been able to gather any further info particularly if you know of Frances' connection with the Long's of Wiltshire which seems interesting to say the least and may answer an old family folklore."

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 November 15 18:21 GMT (UK) »
John Denman m Frances Long 1801 his father John Denman married Margaret Hutchings daughter of William Hutchings & Mary his father John Denman m Rebecca Solisbury 1721 his father Andrew Denman m Sarah Markes daughter of John Markes in 1695 (Elizabeth le............... was his second wife married 1700 if you descend from John and Rebecca then you descend from Sarah Marks John was Sarah's only child born 1696 she died the same year) his father Andrew m Joanna his father Andrew m Elizabeth Hillard (Hillerd) 1640 daughter of Thomas Hillerd and Dorothy Colberd his father Allen m Joanna Gardner in 1600 his father was Andrew Denman. Source: This line can be traced through the South Petherton Somerset Parish registers.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 15 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I've recently started researching this line of my family and also have John DENMAN and Frances LONG. I can see that you have done quite a bit of research, but was wondering if there was any chance you may be mistaken about John's parents as John and Margaret? There is also the family at Curry Rivel: John and Amy DENMAN (Amy's maiden name was PINNEY) - which seems like a bit of a coincidence given John and Frances' daughter Amy Penney.

I'm happy for you tell me you have some better evidence  :) ;)

Let me know what you think if you get a chance,
M

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi starting to wonder if there are two marriages. I have a marriage for John and Margaret at Lopen where John was baptised in 1724 which seems plausible. The marriage date for John and Margaret is 20 Nov 1754 at Lopen. The first child was baptised Dec 1755 to John and Margaret. But then our John was baptised 7 Mar 1776 at Lopen the other last child before him being baptised 1764 but there might be other children I don't have. What marriage date do you have for John and Amy?