Author Topic: Mormondside Farm Strichen  (Read 2743 times)

Offline JamWall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mormondside Farm Strichen
« on: Friday 28 June 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
I would like to do some research into Mormondside Farmhouse which sits a couple of miles outside of Strichen on the edge of Mormondhill. Unsure if it remained in the same family until I bought the house in 2007 from Annie Milne. Locally it is well known, If anyone has any memories of the place or photographs please do get in touch.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mormondside Farm Strichen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 June 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi JamWall,

Ownership of the farm down the ages should be shown in the Title Deeds to the property.   You should be able to obtain a copy of these either via your Solicitor or Building Society, or from the Register of Sasines in Edinburgh.

Regards,

Istrice

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 June 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople website has pay-to-view access to the Valuation Rolls for 1895, 1905 and 1915. These show who owned a property and who was the tenant. The Local Studies Library in Aberdeen could be worth a visit, though, as they may have access to other years.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline catsma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have progressed in your research but I would like to say that my father George Milne, Annie's father-in-law, bought Mormondside in 1953. When he died in 1982 my brother Sandy ran the farm. It then passed to Annie.
The owner before that was Mr MacLeod but I don't know for how long
Milne Gerrard Thom Henderson Geddes Watson Smith Hepburn

Offline Norma Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I dont know if you are still at Mormondside farm but I found out today that my GGG grannys brother, John Rothney, lived at Mormonside farm, he was a retired farmer and was accidentally killed by a train running past the track near the farm in 1888.

Offline Almalesley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am Annie Milnes daughter whom you bought Mormondside Farm from. The farm was owned by my grandparents and my father took over the running of the farm in 1982. My father passed away in 1992 and my mother bought the farm from my granny the following year. I have a couple of aerial view photos of the farm in its hey-day, and also have the original plans of the farm too. Please get in contact if you wish