Author Topic: Fortune of Bunargat(e)  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Fortune of Bunargat(e)
« on: Monday 01 July 13 00:51 BST (UK) »
Can some kind soul please provide information on the memorial inscription for the Fortune family of Bunargat/Bunargate Co. Wexford - I believe this was transcribed by Mr. Cantwell.
Thanks,
Wexflyer
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Fortune of Bunargat(e)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Just bumping this question again - anyone? Bunargate is near Carne, in the SE of the County.
Thanks!

Can some kind soul please provide information on the memorial inscription for the Fortune family of Bunargat/Bunargate Co. Wexford - I believe this was transcribed by Mr. Cantwell.
Thanks,
Wexflyer
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline FBI47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 16 03:22 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer

Is it a Church of Ireland cemetery?  There are a bunch of Fortunes in Ladys Island.

Do you know the name of the cemetery?  Do you have a 1st name?

Barb
Byrne, Jordan, Neville, Codd (Wexford), Hackett (Dublin) Kidney, McNamara, Driscoll (Cork) Cleary & Hogan (Offaly and Tipperary) Finnerty (Roscommon)

Offline FBI47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 16 03:46 BST (UK) »
I found this

FORTUNE. Erected/to the memory of Peter Fortune of Bunarget/ who depd this life 7th May 1818/aged 56 years/also his wife Maryann Fortune/alias Potts who depd this life/July 13th I864 aged 87 years/also their children Mary died/June 5th l&2k aged 13 years/William died July 18th 1825/aged 12 years Catherine/ died August/.... aged 25.
2 FORTUNE. Box. To"the'memory of/Peter Fortune of Bona.gate/who
Byrne, Jordan, Neville, Codd (Wexford), Hackett (Dublin) Kidney, McNamara, Driscoll (Cork) Cleary & Hogan (Offaly and Tipperary) Finnerty (Roscommon)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 16 04:16 BST (UK) »
I found this

FORTUNE. Erected/to the memory of Peter Fortune of Bunarget/ who depd this life 7th May 1818/aged 56 years/also his wife Maryann Fortune/alias Potts who depd this life/July 13th I864 aged 87 years/also their children Mary died/June 5th l&2k aged 13 years/William died July 18th 1825/aged 12 years Catherine/ died August/.... aged 25.
2 FORTUNE. Box. To"the'memory of/Peter Fortune of Bona.gate/who

Thank you so much! Maryann Potts is the link to my line - she was a sister of my g-g-...grandmother. Can you say which graveyard these inscriptions are from?

Offline FBI47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
The cemetery is labeled Broadway St.Iberius.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 16 13:25 BST (UK) »
have you gone through the Will's
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/index.jsp

A Peter Fortune died Wexford 1872 age 52 born circa 1820 from Bonargate proved by James Fortune Bonargate (Broadway)
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014890/005014890_00120.pdf

civil ref
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hhk/

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
have you gone through the Will's
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/index.jsp

A Peter Fortune died Wexford 1872 age 52 born circa 1820 from Bonargate proved by James Fortune Bonargate (Broadway)
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014890/005014890_00120.pdf

Yes, I did look at the Wills and Admons index. I located the will of the James Fortune mentioned above. James died 25th July 1878, in Wexford, described as a gentleman, leaving his estate to his great-nephew, Aidan Crean. I descend from a sister of Aidan Crean.
The will index entry is at
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014894/005014894_00539.pdf
Of course one has to look up the actual will separately. I will have to do that for Peter Fortune's will also, which I had missed - thank you. [Note that the valuation on a will can be very misleading, as it does not include  the value of land and some other items - the actual will gives a very different impression than the "under 100 pound" valuation in the index.]