Author Topic: March Glen  (Read 5495 times)

Offline roybaillie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
March Glen
« on: Monday 01 July 13 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
First post here, i am trying to build my family tree, but keep getting stuck at my great great grandfather Alexander Mcgregor, who seemed to live at March Glen and surrounding areas between 1840 to 1880.
I have traced my Great grandfather James b abt 1854 in Sauchie/Clackmannan [depends which census you read], he was a mason and spent time in Tillicoutry and Paisley chasing work i suppose, he died in Paisley in 1917.
 The mystery starts here, on his death cert it states his mother was Catherine Mcgregor maiden name Smith, but on his marriage cert in may 1874 at Coalsnaughton to Janet Blair Miller it states his mother's maiden name as Barney.

His older brother Alexander b abt 1841 d 1888 has Smith as mother's maiden name on death cert

His younger sisters Margaret b 1860 at March Glen and Catherine b 1865 at March Glen both have mother's maiden name of Barney, yet on Margaret's wedding cert to John Dawson in 1888 in Clackmannan it lists her mother as Catherine Mcgregor or Smith.

What i have found so far

1841 census Parish Dollar Alexander Mcgregor age 20 with son Alexander aged 4 months with a Catherine Mcgregor age 19, the Mcgregor has a line through it and Barney written above.

1851 census at Dollar with Catherine Mcgregor and Robert 8 John 6 and William 1

1861 census at 16 March Glen with Catherine, Robert, John, William, James 9, Malcolm 4 and Margaret 10 months.

1871 census at 16 March Glen Alexander is listed as a widower he's there with James, Malcolm, Margaret and Catherine 4

1881 census at GreyCraigs New Sauchie  with Malcolm Margaret and Catherine.

The only Death certs i have managed to uncover was for a Catherine Mcgregor or Brannan at March Glen in 1870 [which rings a bell as she died choking on a piece of meat, and i remember my mother telling me many years ago about that happening to one of her ancestors].

The only Death cert that i have uncovered of Alexander is one for 1886 in Sauchie but he is down as being a widower of a Catherine Barnett.

One of the questions hopefully someone can answer is how many people lived at March Glen during these censuses as from the old maps there doesn't seem to be more than 8 houses?
Has anybody any idea why there is so much confusion over Catherine's maiden name?
Where would they likely be buried, and would she be buried under one of her maiden names or under Mcgregor, and i suppose the last question could they have been 2 or 3 different women that he never married?
Sorry to be so long winded, i'm just hoping by giving you everything that i know so far somebody might be able to put the missing pieces of the jig saw into place or steer me in the right direction.
Kind Regards Roy

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: March Glen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy

Welcome to Rootschat.  Having looked at the census results for the family I noticed that the child Alexander in 1841 is no longer with the family in 1851

However there is this family in 1851 with son Alexander of the right age living in Dollar and father Alexander born in Dollar. I wondered whether this could be the family in 1841 with Catherine Barney?  Possibly not but just a thought.

Edit - Sorry forget this the younger Alexander was born in Stirling

Christian Mcgregor    58 Female
Alexander Mcgregor    33 b Dollar Sawyer
Alexander Mcgregor    10 b Stirling
Mary Mcgregor    8
Elizabeth Mcgregor 5

Kay

Offline roybaillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,
i had a look at that as well, in the 1841 census it says Alexander snr was born outside the county, so that's one of the reasons i've been going with the Alexr Mcgregor from Fortinghall Perthshire. In the 1881 census he is listed as a distillery labourer and in his son Alexr jnr's marriage cert in 1885 his father is listed as a distillery labourer, and in another census he is a dyer and i can vaguely remember my mother talking about her great grandfather being a black dyer. The women in his life are a real mystery, so many maiden names keep appearing all with the forename Catherine.
Thanks for replying hopefully something will turn up.
Roy

Offline kalesha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 02:52 GMT (UK) »
iv got a gggran with about 6 different maiden names not everyone could read or write back then so anything would have been written down. there is still only about 8 houses in march glen i would say it probably hasnt changed much