Author Topic: The Ad(d)ams Family - Trying to get my head round them  (Read 2174 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
The Ad(d)ams Family - Trying to get my head round them
« on: Monday 01 July 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
On one of my lines I was stuck at Elizabeth Adams who married Thomas Watts at Mollington on 24/4/1743. The PR spells her name Addams and it says both bride and groom were from Great Bourton where they settled.

I couldn't find a baptism for her but when I looked at my Northants Baptism CD I found a family living at Chacombe with an Elizabeth baptised to Joseph and Elizabeth Adams on 15/12/1723.

Now Elizabeth named her only son Joseph, a coincidence?

This wouldn't be my first line who wandered backwards and forwards across the county boundary in that area.

Elizabeth appears to be the first child of Joseph and Elizabeth so I have looked for a marriage 1723 and earlier.

I have found a marriage at Banbury on 3/2/1722 of Joseph Adams and  Elizabeth Hall.

I can't see a marriage on the Northants marriage CD or in any of the Oxfordshire parishes I have on CD. So was the Banbury marriage mine? I have come across a couple before who shot off to Banbury to marry from the surrounding villages.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Ad(d)ams Family - Trying to get my head round them
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 13:03 BST (UK) »

Have you investigated further the Elizabeth ADAMS baptised at Chacombe?  Is she mentioned further in the PRs (you need to make sure that she did not die as an infant)?  Is there a marriage for her at Chacombe or the surrounding parishes?

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 13 08:38 BST (UK) »
Pennie Sorry for not replying sooner.

I can't see an obvious marriage for Elizabeth in Chacombe. I haven't got Chacombe burials so I will put a thread up on the Northants board to see if anyone has them and if there is a possible burial.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 July 13 17:28 BST (UK) »

Have you investigated further the Elizabeth ADAMS baptised at Chacombe?  Is she mentioned further in the PRs (you need to make sure that she did not die as an infant)?  Is there a marriage for her at Chacombe or the surrounding parishes?

Pennie

Pennie Elizabeth wasn't buried at Chacombe, one of her brothers was buried as a child, the only Adams burial in the time frame, so it looks like she is mine.

Offline ShHerman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
Greetings jaywit,
I too am working on the Adams family of Chacombe. Joseph Adams and Elizabeth Hall are the first parents of all the Chacombe Adams. From what you have mentioned you come through their daughter Elizabeth Adams who married Thomas Watts. I come through Joseph and Elizabeth's youngest son William Adams baptized 2 Feb 1737. 1736 = 1737 (Because of Old English New Years). He married Ann somewhere in the 1760's.

Their first born son: Joseph Adams baptized 7 Nov 1762 in Chacombe is my Ancestor. In the 1780's he went and took up work in Stratton Audley, Oxfordshire supposedly as an Agricultural Laborer.

He was married to Catherine Elliott 12 Oct 1789 in Souldern, Oxfordshire, England. From the years 1790-1791 both Joseph and his wife Catherine were off traveling. Where to... who knows. They had a child somewhere in those years. Then in 1792 they found their way to Walmersley, Lancashire, England where they had my Ancestor John Adams born 13 Jun 1792. On 8 Jul 1792 he was baptized in St John Church, Bury, Lancashire, England. Not long after his birth his family was on the move again. They headed south. They came to a place called Akeley, Buckinghamshire, England in 1794 where they had a son named William. William was later baptized in St Peter and St Paul Church, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, England. In 1797 his sister Sarah was born in Buckingham and baptized in the Parish Church. From at least 1799-1805 he and his wife moved to the nearby Parish of Padbury where they had three more daughters. At some point after 1805 they returned to Buckingham. Joseph Adams was buried 25 Jan 1820 in the Parish Church of Buckingham: St Peter and St Paul Church. As can be seen... my part of the family traveled quite a bit.

I am wondering if you could share more about what you know on the Adams family and the Watts family that are children of Elizabeth Adams Watts.

I am also trying to track down the Adams family line. Another marriage record in Chacombe hints on to the family coming from Farnborough. This is a nearby parish in Warwickshire. I have searched the parish and have found two individuals that appear as though they may be the Parents of Joseph Adams the husband of Elizabeth Hall. Their names were Richard Adams and Rebecca Adams. It does not appear they were married in Northamptonshire or Warwickshire. It appears as though they may have been married in Oxfordshire.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.
Shawn