Author Topic: How can I find a family bible?  (Read 18227 times)

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How can I find a family bible?
« on: Monday 01 July 13 21:07 BST (UK) »
I am wondering, what is in a family bible? Is it possible that every family had one especially if it was big like mine and how would I find one? Relating to surname, KEMBLE, HILL, SHEARS, LLEWELLYN....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find a family bible?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
No, not every family would have owned a Bible (many people in early 1800s especially would have been illiterate) and not every family Bible contains family details. There's no firm rule as to what could be written inside a Bible- sometimes it's just names and dates of births, marriages and death and other times there are loads of details included.

My great-great-great-grandfather owned a beautiful Bible which was given to me about 20 years ago. His signature appears with lovely flourishes at the start but the printed pages for recording family events are completely blank.

Another old Bible in our house has wonderful information inside such as "Thomas Armstrong departed this life July 3d 1846... I placed his son Thos. with Morgan ___ in July 1849- to lodge and feed him- he is now 4 years and four months old. June 15th 1850. Jane Phibbs 
It is my intention with the blessing of my heavenly Father to educate him in the protestant faith, and if spared to apprentice him at a proper age to a trade.- Jane Phibbs- June 15th 1850."

And not all 'Family Bibles' are old- we also have one that my in-laws got as a wedding present.

There can also be 'bits' of paper tucked between the pages like funeral and Mass cards, newspaper clippings, recipes...

The best way to go about searching for a family Bible is to ask your relatives (someone may remember seeing one but not know what happened to it) and then trace various branches of your family for other living people to ask.

Added- sometimes the details recorded in a Bible have been transcribed (I found records dating back to 1600s in a Canadian archive).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.

So can I generally make one? What would I start it off with.. I mean, I have SO MUCH genealogical information going back to 1500s...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 July 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
The whole point of a Family Bible is that you record events AS THEY HAPPEN- not just a place to put in generations of a family that you've researched. It's a permanent record and not like a computer website or Word document where you can add or change details.

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
OK.

As of now, how would I start the family bible? How will it be formatted..

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
A Family Bible is simply a bible (usually large!) that has pages headed:

Births & Baptisms
Marriages
Deaths

My own family bible has no special formats - just those pages, lined.
Each page can contain 20-30 entries?

??? I'm not sure what you are expecting?

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TheBanana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 July 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Do anyone have any examples I can see?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 July 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
To start with you need a Bible that has blank pages (usually either near the start of between Old and New Testaments).
Search with Google Images for "bible family record pages" and you'll see many, many examples.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 July 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)