Author Topic: Birth Record Help  (Read 8348 times)

Offline indiangel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Record Help
« on: Tuesday 02 July 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help trace some parents as I've had no luck!

These are the only details I know,

Frances Tuckwood born somewhere between 1795-1800 in Exton, Rutland (according to census records)
She had 3 children (John, Ann and Elizabeth Tuckwood) all born out of wedlock between 1823-1835 approx
She eventually married John Perril (wide range of spelling for this surname) in 1841 somewhere along the Lincs/Rutland border and spent the rest of her life in South Witham, Lincs

I'm looking for her parents but I no longer hold a subscription to any site and I've found nothing relevant on familysearch thus far. I live the opposite end of the country to the appropriate records office so it's not really possible to look in person, either. If anyone could perhaps find information where I can't that'd be brilliant, but it seems difficult! I'm happy to buy a marriage cert if that would be the best path

Many thanks,

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record Help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

marriage cert for Frances Tuckwood and John Perril

Jan/Feb/March Quarter 1841 Oakham RD ref 15 777

I would send for the cert to give you fathers name.

marysma
Horn/Horne,Johnston,East Lothian
Horn/e, Farquhar,Shanks,Reid,Geddes, Banff and Buckie

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Morgan,Peirce,Thomas,Branch,South Wales

Crimmins/Crimin, Ring, Co,Cork.

Flynn-- Dungarvan,Waterford,Ireland.
Christopher, Waterford

Pride and Long ,Newington Bagpath,Glous,England.

Offline Jonquill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
There's a notice in the paper but sadly it only says -
Married -
 On Monday last, at Thistleton, Mr John Perril, of South Witham, to Miss Frances Tuckwood of the former place.
Stamford Mercury - Friday 05 February 1841

Offline indiangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 17:14 BST (UK) »
I did think that a marriage cert might be the best route forward, so hopefully that'll at least give me a fathers name to work from

Thank you!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Make sure you order it from the official GRO site,it'll cost you £9-25.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline indiangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
I will do, thanks!

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 July 13 14:51 BST (UK) »
I've looked at all the Rutland CD's I have and firstly can't even find Frances b in Exton, or anywhere else for that matter.  However there are 8 Tuckwoods in Rutland about that time 6 of which are in Exton. Do you know of any siblings of Fanny - if so I'll look for them to find parents.

I see Emma Winterton, neice,  on a census with John Perril and Frances so I assumed she would be more than likely a relative of Frances than John as she was born in Empingham not far from Exton but I can't find her anywhere else for certain  - I had hoped to find her mother in the hope she was Frances' sister but to no avail.

However, I did find another child of Frances :  Kezia Alice Tuckwood  Illegitimate dau of Frances bp 12/8/1832 in Exton.

I also found Frances' son John Tuckwood in 1881 living in a cottage in Thistleton
It says he was born there in 1825. He is a Shepherd living with his wife Mary b 1821 Little Bytham and a son John b 1850 in South Witham, a labourer.  I think this must be correct because of the birthplace of the son.
In 1891 he is in Holwell Village, nr Melton Mowbray with his wife Mary. He is now Ag Lab.

Sorry I can't find anything else but if you have any other info I will keep what I have found for a couple of weeks and would be happy to have another look for you.
Happy hunting.

DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline indiangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 July 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking!

Annoyingly I don't know anything else about her at all, but I find her really interesting! The only reason I have for her birthplace being Exton is census records and the birth place of her children being local, so that's not the most reliable source! There are also links to Lincolnshire which isn't surprising given the proximity, I suppose it's possible that she was born in Lincs. I also can't be certain that Tuckwood is in fact her maiden name, but it was the name given to all her illegitimate children and the name she married under

Thanks also for the name of an extra child!

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 July 13 15:08 BST (UK) »
Yes she is an interesting lady - so many children before marriage and I've found two more!
Abraham b and bp  at Thistleton2/11/1828 Illegit  - Frances being of Exton
William Cockshaw Tuyckwood (is this middle name a clue to the father?) b 29/4/1825 and bp 8/5/1825 at Thistleton illegit s/o Frances.

I also found some marriages:
Ann Tuckwood of Empingham ma Thomas Winterton 5/4/1830 at Empingham - very close to Exton.
You recall there was a niece Emma Winterton with them on the 1851 census - this is probably their child and therefore niece to Frances. It also suggests that Ann and Frances are sisters and therefore Frances was born a Tuckwood.  Looking at 1851-1881 census for Thomas and Ann Winterton they lived in Empingham all their marries lives. They show Ann as being born in Exton in abt 1807. She died between 1871 and 1881 and Thos bet 1881 and 1891.
I also found 2 burials in Exton:
William Tuckwood 15/6/1839 aged 83 so b abt 1756 and Elizabeth 24/4/1833 aged 68 b abt 1765 so about the right ages to be Frances' parents.

There is also a ma at Exton  of a William Tuckwood to Jane Royce on 15/12/1835 both otp-banns.
I have a branch of my family from Exton.
I hope this gives you more clues to follow up.
Best of luck.

DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area