Author Topic: Alexander McIntosh/Margaret (Maggie) McLean  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Alexamc71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McIntosh/Margaret (Maggie) McLean
« on: Wednesday 03 July 13 06:39 BST (UK) »
Alexander McIntosh/Margaret McLean Nairn

Surnames: McIntosh, McLain
I am looking for information on Alexander McIntosh, born about 1857, died 1913. He married Margaret (Maggie) McLean, born about 1865, died 1947. They lived in Nairn, Scotland. Children included: John (1886-1964),Alexander (1888-1946), Joe (1891-1935), Roderick (1902-1954), Margaret (1889-1975), Anne (Annie) (1895-1977), and maybe a Dolly and/or Elspet(h)or Elsie.

John,Alexander, Joe, Roderick and Margaret came to Canada. John,Alexander, and Margaret all went on to the US and settled in Montana.The rest of the children stayed in Scotland.

If you have any information on this family including the parents/grandparents of Alexander McIntosh and Margaret McLean, I would love to hear from you. OR if you are related to any of these people, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, Alexa

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McIntosh/Margaret (Maggie) McLean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexa , welcome to Rootschat  :)

Scotlandspeople website has Alexander Mcintosh / Maggie Mclean marriage 1885 Ardclach Nairn.
Can't be certain that is the couple you are after , you might have to obtain the birth certificate of one of the children to confirm the marriage.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is a paysite but costs are reasonable , the marriage certificate should name both sets of parents.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Alexamc71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McIntosh/Margaret (Maggie) McLean
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion.  I have obtained a copy of the 1885 marriage certificate you mentioned and believe it is the correct one.  I also obtained a death certificate for Alexander McIntosh (1913) that states his father was Alexander McIntosh, a crofter, and his mother was Annie Davidson. He may have had a brother named William McIntosh, as this is the witness on the marriage certificate.

Maggie McLean's death certificate (1947) states that her father was Alexander McLean, a shoemaker, and her mother was Margaret Chisholm.

Alexander and Maggie lived at 1 Watson Place in Nairn in the early 1900's.  Later, she lived on Albert Street in Nairn.

Dolly married a Wallace.  Anne may have married a Farquhar.  There is a grandson William/Bill Farquhar mentioned as a witness on Maggie's death certificate.

There are soooo many Alexander McIntosh's that I am finding it very difficult to move backward to locate accurate information on Alexander McIntosh.

I would love to connect with someone who may have knowledge of this family.  Thanks, Alexa