Author Topic: Bit of a puzzle ...  (Read 4136 times)

Offline BHH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bit of a puzzle ...
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 August 13 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi - cant help with the Harbottle or the Ferdinand.  I would love to know myself, and if you find out anything please let me know. I am descended from the first Edward Tindal Ferdinand Harbottle Hogg. (there are about  6 in my immediate line, and a few more in side branches, also 2 Edward Tindal's without the Ferdinand Harbottle).

The first Edward TFH was the third child of Andrew Hogg (baptised in Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland on 13th January 1754) and Frances Tindal, married on 9th May 1776, also in Berwick-Upon-Tweed.   Both were listed as 23 at their marriage, with Frances being from the parish of Kyloe and Andrew described as a “gentleman”. I have been unable to trace Frances back any further either. (go to FamilySearch collection, Durham marriage bonds and allegations, 1776-1782 image 20). 

Andrew and Frances had three children, all baptised in Berwick-Upon-Tweed.  William (b1777, according to family records died by drowning in Newfoundland), Frances Harbottle (1779-1866) and Edward Tindal Ferdinand Harbottle (1780 – 1856). 

not sure if that helps!

cheers Barbara 

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 September 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
Thanks for your post. Your information on the Hogg's fills in another little offshoot on my tree. I already had a copy of the marriage allegation in my own records.

Andrew Hoggs wife Frances, was one of seven children born to Edward & Frances Tindall of Old Brockdam in Northumberland. Her father Edward died in 1764 when frances was just eleven years old. In Edwards will, Frances was bequethed the princely sum of £200 when she became of age which was normaly twenty one. I don't know what the modern equivelent of £200 is, but suspect it was a fair old sum. I reckon Andrew Hogg got a bit of catch!

As for the names Harbottle and Ferdinand I still don't know where they came from. Andrews father William married a woman called Alder, so it's nothing to to with her maiden name. I thought that maybe Edwards wife's maiden name may heve been Harbottle, but after much searching have found no record of their marriage.

Cheers  JT

Offline BHH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 September 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that JT, I have now managed to track Frances Tindall Snr's burial notice. I notice she also has a will with probate 6 Aug 1791. Is there a good way to get copies?  I have ordered a few previously from Durham but I find it problematic from Australia!

One day someone may find the clues to the Harbottle and Ferdinand!

cheers Barbara

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 September 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the Ferdinand name in your family tree has anything to do with this incident. You mentioned they had connections with the Bamburgh area......

On an August evening in 1701  John Fenwick of Rock killed Ferdinando Forster, a Member of Parliament and son of Sir William Forster of Bamburgh.

The case was given a lot of publicity and must have had all the tongues wagging in Bamburgh.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 September 13 07:00 BST (UK) »
Interesting theory. You never know. I found this on the incident:

"Forster gained his first army commission in 1685 aged only 15, but a military career may not yet have been settled upon since the following year he entered Cambridge and Gray’s Inn. Two years later, however, he returned to the army, gaining a lieutenant’s commission in 1688 and appointment as captain the following year, but he resigned this commission in 1691. Little more is known of Forster until late 1700 when he stood for the Northumberland seat previously held by his elder brother, from whom in September that year he had inherited the heavily indebted family estates. Prior to this Forster does not appear to have involved himself in public affairs. Forster was successful at the election of January 1701, and in February he was listed as likely to support the Court in the supply committee’s resolution to continue the ‘Great Mortgage’. At the end of the 1701 session Forster returned to Northumberland, but while attending a dinner on 22 Aug. at Newcastle-upon-Tyne for the grand jury of the county he quarrelled with John Fenwick of Rock. One account relates that Fenwick entered singing ‘a favourite party song’ to the refrain of ‘Sir John Fenwick’s† the flower among them’ and thereby provoked Forster, while another claims that Forster angered Fenwick by stating that there were ‘too many such [i.e. Tories] in the House’. Though the two men were prevented from fighting at the dinner, they met the following day in Newcastle, drew swords and in the resulting skirmish Forster was killed. His murderer was executed later the same year. Forster left his heavily indebted estate to his sister and to Thomas Forster II*, son of his other (deceased) sister. Proceedings in Chancery for recovery of debts forced the sale of this estate, and though this sale yielded £20,679 Forster’s debts accounted for all but £1,028 of this sum."

Offline Sylvstitch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Fascinated by this thread as I am a descendant of Frances Tindall.  If it is a help to BHH, Frances' will is online at Family Search and can be downloaded.  Not sure how to post a link but this may help:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DCR3-Y7T?cc=2358715
Cheers, Sylvia