Author Topic: Dolan/McQuillan marriage - Termonfeckin  (Read 11920 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dolan/McQuillan marriage - Termonfeckin
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 July 13 15:24 BST (UK) »
deleted
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 July 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
sorry - think I was looking at the wrong McQuillan record. Do you have a link to the other thread ?

records are kept by parish, so if that church you mentioned is a chapel of ease, you need to check for it's corresponding parish to see if there are records.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 July 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
It's the post by 'hallmark, it mentions Sandpit and Ballymackenny churches.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,581087.0.html

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 July 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that the church being referred to in that thread is the one at Milltown townland just west of Termonfeckin. It was a chapel of ease for the parish.

see: Sandpit / Milltown RC Chapel (c1837)

Extract of description of the RC parish of Termonfeckin from Lewis 1837 : '..In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the [civil] parish of Beaulieu, and parts of the [civil] parishes of Ballymakenny and Drumshallon; there are two chapels, one in the village, and one at Sandpit, both small buildings..'

My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 July 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Thanks for the information about Sandpit RC Church. I'm sorry to be a bit thick, but are you saying that Sandpit BMD records, along with Beaulieu, Ballymackenny and Drumshallon are all within Termonfeckin at the nli/rootsireland or is each a seperate record?
Would a chapel of ease like Sandpit have a graveyard?

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
I think I may have answered my own question about a graveyard at Sandpit. There doesn't seem to be one there on google earth.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
yes - records are kept by parish, so that's what you need to look for on the NLI Index, RootsIreland etc, in this case Termonfeckin. That townland of Milltown and chapel at Sandpit, are in Termonfeckin civil parish, so as well as the townlands in the civil parish of Termonfeckin, the RC parish contained the townlands in the civil parish of Beaulieu and parts of the other two civil parishes mentioned.

Priests at Chapels of ease sometimes had separate notebooks for records or even separate registers, but any details should have been transferred to the actual parish register. There might be notes still in local custody, but probably a very long shot... and in any case I think doubtful they would go back any further than the parish records.

I dont see a graveyard at that church on historic or recent maps.

My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
there doesn't seem to be a graveyard at the RC (parish) church in the town either - so there's probably one somewhere nearby. Possibly that one at Ballymackenny mentioned in the other thread..
My Surname Interests