Author Topic: Priest family - Thornbury  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Sandbunny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Priest family - Thornbury
« on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for assistance on the Priest family that lived in and around Thornbury, Devon.
My ancestors were John Priest and Mary Daw(e) who were married at Buckland Filleigh. They had the following children Eliza b.1815 (my great(3) grandmother who married John Sanders 1845 and emigrated to Australia in 1855). Other children i believe are William, Richard, Mary Ann, Daniel, John, Lydia, Titus, Samuel, George. (all baptised in Thornbury)
I believe that some of the farms they lived on were Lashbrook, Windy Cross, Week Farm.
Mainly looking for date of deaths for John and Mary Priest.
Any information or assistance appreciated.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Priest family - Thornbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
There is an Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Thornbury:

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Thornbury/index.html

scroll down to "Gazetteers"
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Magdalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 15 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you probably have this information by now but I have just finished photographing and recording all of the gravestones in Thornbury and as part of that have looked at the burial records and can tell you that Mary Priest died 12 Feb 1851 aged 54 (not 100% sure it is the correct Mary as there are so many Priests) and John died 15 Oct 1855 aged 66 at Lashbrook, so I know that is him.  I can find no evidence of a headstone for either of them I'm afraid.  Hope this helps.

Offline Sandbunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Magdalen - thank you for your reply and the information provided, which is gratefully accepted. Like you I am not 100% sure of Mary's date. But in the 1851 Devon Census - Mary is listed as being 54 and John 64 at Lashbrook North.
Will the photographs be on any web-sites.
Thanks
Garry

Offline Magdalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garry.  At the moment we have no plans to actually put the pictures on a website but we may well put 'thumbnails' on in the future and ask people to request bigger versions (they are all v high resolution so big files) so that we get information back about who is researching their families.  We will put all of the transcripts and the index on the website which is currently www.thornburyhamlets.com but it will move over to www.thornburyhamlets.org.uk for reasons too boring to explain.  If you contact me offline on thornburytatler at gmail dot com I can send you the transcripts and index of the graves in both the church and the chapel and you will be able to see all of the Priest etc headstones that are currently there.  As I say, neither Mary nor John seem to have a headstone but he at least was definitely buried in the churchyard and I can send you a copy of his entry in the Burial record.  In return will you tell me how you are related to him as I am writing an article about Lashbrook at the moment, including information about the house he lived in, which I will send you once it is done.  Best wishes Meg

Offline Magdalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 November 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garry, I just reread you post and it is clear that she is not your Mary as that one died before the census date so I have looked again and found a burial for a Mary on 19th November 1864 aged 67 which sounds more likely but it doesn't say she is of Lashbrook but of Thornbury but she could have moved from Lashbrook after John's death of nobody mentioned where she lived.  Have you got her in 1861? as there is no other Mary buried in Thornbury between 51 and 61.  Meg

Offline Sandbunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 November 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Meg - thanks for the confirmation.
Mary Priest appears on the 1861 Census living with her son George 26 as a house keeper aged 65 at Lashbrook.
I will contact you during the week with the other information.
Garry