Author Topic: Sarah Griffiths  (Read 9322 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sarah Griffiths
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 11:21 BST (UK) »
Sarah Griffith migrated to Australia on the Caribou as a beneficiary of the Donegal Relief Fund in 1859. Her Father William and her mother Mary (Cannon) remained in Ireland. Their place of residence is said to be Torman or is that Terman and their native place was said to be Londerry County Donegal. Can anyone tell me where Torman was? Any news on the Griffith or Cannon families would be much appreciated.
Sarah's obituary said that she had resided in Carrowcannon House in Donegal. I have today found an add for the sale of Carrowcannon House and would be interested in any news of the history of same. I feel that perhaps the family may have been evicted from this house if they ever really lived there. The fact that Sarah came to Australia courtesy of the Donegal Relief fund to me indicates that they were not exactly flush with funds and therefore Carrowcannon House would have been well and truly beyond their means. 
Wren

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wren,

Griffiths Valuation of Donegal 1857 does not mention anyone by the name of Griffiths. A couple of heads of household named William Griffith are mentioned.  The surname Cannon is mentioned as living in the same Parish.

Termon is a townland of 301 acres in the Parish of Templecrane. I regret I was only able to find a little bit of information about Carrowcannon. Daniel Sweeney purchased Carrowcannon House and farm (http://www.loughrey.ie/Rur112.htm) near Falcarragh in 1876. He took his wife and family of eight children to Donegal. He changed the family name, by deed pole, from Sweeney back to the original Mac Sweeney. http://www.sweeneydoeclan.com/id17.htm

This next site mentions Richard Benson who owned 20 acres at Carrowcannon, Falcarragh. I wonder if he was the tenent of the property prior to Daniel Sweeney? http://www.odochartaigh.org/portal/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=317
Griffiths Valuation of Co. Donegal in 1857 http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php mentions Richard Benson of Carrowcanon in the parish of Raymunterdoney, Co. Donegal

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 06 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Christopher
Thanks for your help. I'm beginning to think Sarah's Irish roots are a lost cause, but I'm extremely interested. I downloaded a picture of the house from the sale site a little while ago.
I tend to think that as Sarah came to Australia courtesy of the Donegal Relief Fund that Carrowcannon House may have been a bit grand for the Griffith/Cannon family. Maybe they were forced to leave the house, if they ever lived there. Maybe whoever wrote the obituary was flirting with the truth. I'm not sure. But every little bit of information helps to either prove or disprove a theory.
Thanks again
Wren.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wren,

I suggset you send a message to the agent selling Carrowcannon House. You may be able to establish the date the property was built. I do not know much about property deeds but the agent may be able to tell you if either the Cannon family or Griffith family lived in the property. It is quite possible they did live in the house and for one reason or another hit hard times. I can see no reason for an obituary writer to flirt with the truth. This site shows the burials at Old St. Mary’s Church, Held at Christ the King Church (Gortahork) during the period 1849-63 There were several Cannon burials there during that period. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~donegal/gortbur.htm

All the Best, Christopher

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 06 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christopher
Your site sounds great I will check it out.
I sent a message to the agent who was going to get in contact with the owners. I haen't heard back from them as yet.
As far as flirting with the truth. My McGuinnesses were masters at the art. Thats one of the reasons why I double check everything.
I find it rgher endearing really. Its so good to get a reply after so long.
Thanks
Wren.

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wren

Checkout the other thread on O'Brian/Cannon from Beltony.  ndiem is also looking for a Mary Cannon from the same district (next generation along).  Could Sarah and the other Mary Cannon be related ?

If you check the Griffiths Valuation suggested by Christopher you will find many Cannon's living in the same parish of Raymunterdoney.

Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 06 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gary
I will try these, it sounds very promising.
I'll have a look at these lines.
Regards Wren

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wren
If you check the Griffiths valuation of 1857 you will see that there is a William Griffith and a Mary Griffith in the townland of Altnapaste in the parish of Kilteevoge.  Not far away either but not the same parish as Carrowcannon House.
Gary

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wren

Here is an interesting website that speaks directly about Cannons from Carrowcannon, who ended up in Australia, you might want to get in touch.

http://website.lineone.net/~cannonfhs/fhistory.htm

Gary