Author Topic: Looking for a researcher for family in the scottish borders  (Read 5039 times)

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a researcher for family in the scottish borders
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 July 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Have Scotlandspeople done their own indexing of the OPRs? In the early days it was suggested that SP used the indexing on Familysearch IGI and certainly there seemed to be some evidence to support that suggestion.

I don't know. I believe they were given the indexes by the LDS, but whether they then created new ones or not, I don't know.

The problem with the IGI is that a huge number of the events were not added - specifically for one gender - because the relevant LDS ordinances (baptisms basically, modern) were not performed on the long dead people. Only those CoS baptisms where modern LDS baptisms had been performed (giving the long-dead people a chance to join the LDS church) were added to the IGI. And after a certain point that process stopped, even though the events had otherwise been indexed. Things got so bad that some years ago the microfiche version of the IGI included advice at the start that people should not use it for Scottish parish register research, instead using the much more complete "Scottish Church Records" database (then available on CD-ROM), which is the index that I believe was passed on to the GRO(S).

In my experience ScotlandsPeople is much much better for pre-1855 church records in the Borders than the IGI. It includes baptisms from all genders, many more. And of course it includes burials too now where those exist (rarely), and many marriages as well.