Author Topic: Lookup Request: Mason/Stewart/Warden  (Read 9747 times)

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Request: Mason/Stewart/Warden
« on: Saturday 06 July 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
Looking for information regarding my great-grandparents Elizabeth Mason and Andrew Stewart of Londonderry.  I believe I have their marriage certificate, date of marriage 18 Jul 1922 at Ballyarnett.  Andrew is listed as a widower at the time of their marriage and lived in the Park Avenue area.  No ages are given, but his father is listed as the laborer James Stewart.  Elizabeth is listed as having never been married, living in the Woodleigh Terrace area.  Her father is listed as the mason James Mason.  They later lived together on Argyle Terrace. Per our family records, Elizabeth had a sister named Rebecca Mason who was married to a James Warden.  I believe that I have found James and Rebecca's marriage certificate, married on 23 Dec 1916 at Claremont.  James Warden is listed as being 20, but there is no age for Rebecca.  James' father is listed as the farmer William Warden.  Rebecca's father is listed as the mason James Mason.  I can't seem to find any other record of these families.  I am trying to find birth records for Andrew Stewart, Elizabeth Stewart (Mason), and Rebecca Warden (Mason) and any vital information on their parents, siblings, etc.  Although I cannot seem to find any records of them, there may also be a Reda, Ilene, May, and Ruby Warden that are somehow related to Rebecca, per our family Bible.  Andrew Stewart had a sister named Violet and may have originally been from Scotland.  Any information would be most appreciated!!!!!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request: Mason/Stewart/Warden
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Starting with perhaps the easiest bit-

James Mason (occupation stone mason) here in 1911- looks like Lily could be the Ellen in 1901?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Liberties__Upper/Killea/604975
Same family in 1901 with a daughter Rebecca-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Upper_Liberties/Killea/1538758
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be your Elizabeth? Elizabeth Ellen would explain her being Ellen in 1 census and Lily in another!
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBND-SPJ

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 00:26 BST (UK) »
Although I cannot seem to find any records of them, there may also be a Reda, Ilene, May, and Ruby Warden that are somehow related to Rebecca, per our family Bible.
Any idea of dates/ages? Ruby is often a nickname for Rebecca.

Andrew is listed as a widower at the time of their marriage and lived in the Park Avenue area. and Andrew Stewart had a sister named Violet and may have originally been from Scotland.
What's Andrew's occupation when he married?

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much aghadowey!! That is a great lead! I unfortunately have no addional information on Ilene, May, Reda, or Ruby. Their names were scribbled in the Bible by my grandma in approximately 1940 (she is now deceased). When he married, Andrew was listed as a carter.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 13 01:02 BST (UK) »
Sticking with the James and Elizabeth Mason family for the moment- 1911 census says married 27 years which fits with a possible marriage-
James Mason, July/Sept.1884 Londonderry registration district, volume 2 page 159 to Eliza Ewing.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 13 01:06 BST (UK) »
Something to keep in mind-

BIRTH: Ruby Cameron Warden, Jan./Mar.1920 Londonderry registration district, volume 2 page 138

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 July 13 02:51 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, you are awesome!!! Many thanks!!! The marriage that you found between the two fits very well as an Isabella Ewing is one of the witnesses to the Warden/Mason wedding! I will start researching that lead now. Any clues about Andrew Stewart or his sister? It seems you have better luck than I! :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
According to the census Eliza (Ewing?) Mason was from Donegal so this might be the Isabella Ewing who witnessed the 1916 marriage-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Stranorlar/Stranorlar_Town/1199944
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Stranorlar/Main_Street/509845

I did have a bit of a look last night for Andrew Stewart and his sister Violet without any luck- found a tailor named Andrew (completely wrong occupation) and a Violet born in Scotland (only 3 in 1911). Trouble is we don't know if Andrew was previously married in Ireland (can't find marriage in Co.Derry) or even living there in 1911/1901.