Author Topic: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee  (Read 21851 times)

Offline dunwedy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 September 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

It might be worth listing the various ancestors with dates, etc.,  so that members can focus in on the ones that are relevant  :)

From the last thread, the Goodalls were origianlly from Fife (Auchtermuchty/Kirkaldy) and the Stewarts were from Dundee.

Gadget

Ofcourse, sorry I've listed a few below to get started - also looking for general sources of information as well though. I'm willing to put the effort in to research any leads, I don't expect everyone else to have to do all the work.

With regards to Iron Turners I have a William Nicoll Stewart born 2 November 1897 and lived at 10 Annfield Street, Dundee. He went to Chicago in the early 1920's to visit a friend by the name of Samuel Hall. Not sure on his return journey, however he married Isabella Forsyth in 17 September 1930 at Elmslea, Scoonie, Fife - therein they lived in Fife until William died in 1959 and Isabella in 1983. I know William also worked at the Balfour Iron Works in Leven at some point (probably later on in his life).

Slightly more generic on the Jute workers in Dundee - otherwise this post will go on for ever!

From the Stewarts I have -
 William Reid Kennedy (Husband of William Nicoll Stewarts sister Jeanie) - Worked as a clerk first of all then a Mill Manager for A. Yule & Co in Calcutta, India.
 James Stewart (William Stewarts Father) - Power Loom Tenter (Lived at 244 Blackness Road, Dundee) James was born 1864.
 Jeanie Stewart (Nee Nicoll) (James Wife) - Jute Weaver Born 1864.
 James's father John Stewart - Factory Overseer (Born 1841)
 John's son Peter Stewart - Mill Mechanic (Born 1892)
 Jeanie Nicoll's father James Nicoll - Yarn Dresser (Born 1838)

That's probably enough to get started with, any information greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need anything clarified or more information.

Best Regards,

Martin

I'm very new to this so please forgive!  (also rather late as I only just stumbled upon this thread.)

I'm Duncan Kennedy, son of William Reid Kenned and Jean Nicol Stewart.  My mother and I lived at 244 Blackness Road with my mother's sisters while my father worked in India - my mother joined him every 18 months.  I was born in  Calcutta and lived in Budge Budge until 1944.

One of the two sisters was Jessie (Jan) Hall (nee Stewart)  wife of Sam Hall also mentioned above.  Sam was a fitter turner with brass turners in Dundee - I have the name somewhere because I have their wedding present to Sam and Jan, a still largely wrapped canteen of cutlery with a letter of best wishes.  Sam left for the US immediately after the wedding to make enough for Jan to join him.  On is way back to collect her he died on board ship from pneumonia,

Just noticed - William Nicol Stewart was my Uncle Will, mother's older brother and Sam Hall's brother-in-law and, of course, Isabella Forsyth was my Auntie Bella.  They lived in Leven and had two daughters, Isobel and Jean.  Jean is still alive, I believe.

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 September 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

It might be worth listing the various ancestors with dates, etc.,  so that members can focus in on the ones that are relevant  :)

From the last thread, the Goodalls were origianlly from Fife (Auchtermuchty/Kirkaldy) and the Stewarts were from Dundee.

Gadget

Ofcourse, sorry I've listed a few below to get started - also looking for general sources of information as well though. I'm willing to put the effort in to research any leads, I don't expect everyone else to have to do all the work.

With regards to Iron Turners I have a William Nicoll Stewart born 2 November 1897 and lived at 10 Annfield Street, Dundee. He went to Chicago in the early 1920's to visit a friend by the name of Samuel Hall. Not sure on his return journey, however he married Isabella Forsyth in 17 September 1930 at Elmslea, Scoonie, Fife - therein they lived in Fife until William died in 1959 and Isabella in 1983. I know William also worked at the Balfour Iron Works in Leven at some point (probably later on in his life).

Slightly more generic on the Jute workers in Dundee - otherwise this post will go on for ever!

From the Stewarts I have -
 William Reid Kennedy (Husband of William Nicoll Stewarts sister Jeanie) - Worked as a clerk first of all then a Mill Manager for A. Yule & Co in Calcutta, India.
 James Stewart (William Stewarts Father) - Power Loom Tenter (Lived at 244 Blackness Road, Dundee) James was born 1864.
 Jeanie Stewart (Nee Nicoll) (James Wife) - Jute Weaver Born 1864.
 James's father John Stewart - Factory Overseer (Born 1841)
 John's son Peter Stewart - Mill Mechanic (Born 1892)
 Jeanie Nicoll's father James Nicoll - Yarn Dresser (Born 1838)

That's probably enough to get started with, any information greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need anything clarified or more information.

Best Regards,

Martin

I'm very new to this so please forgive!  (also rather late as I only just stumbled upon this thread.)

I'm Duncan Kennedy, son of William Reid Kenned and Jean Nicol Stewart.  My mother and I lived at 244 Blackness Road with my mother's sisters while my father worked in India - my mother joined him every 18 months.  I was born in  Calcutta and lived in Budge Budge until 1944.

One of the two sisters was Jessie (Jan) Hall (nee Stewart)  wife of Sam Hall also mentioned above.  Sam was a fitter turner with brass turners in Dundee - I have the name somewhere because I have their wedding present to Sam and Jan, a still largely wrapped canteen of cutlery with a letter of best wishes.  Sam left for the US immediately after the wedding to make enough for Jan to join him.  On is way back to collect her he died on board ship from pneumonia,

Just noticed - William Nicol Stewart was my Uncle Will, mother's older brother and Sam Hall's brother-in-law and, of course, Isabella Forsyth was my Auntie Bella.  They lived in Leven and had two daughters, Isobel and Jean.  Jean is still alive, I believe.

Hi Duncan,

Thank you so much for getting in touch! You probably won't know me, but I am grandson of Isobel Stewart - William Nicoll Stewart is my great grandfather.

You are indeed correct in thinking Jean is still alive, my gran Isobel died in 2003 - she left a bunch of old photographs and letters from your mum, which led me to finding out about the mill and India. There's too many to post it all here but I'd be glad to share it with you.

Look forward to catching up.

Best Wishes,

Martin

Offline dunwedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 September 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply - that explains it.  We exchange cards with Jean every Christmas.  I guess Isobel passed on as cards stopped - she was a bit older than me.

I would be delighted to catch up but haven't the faintest notion of how to get in touch - I did say I ws very new to this.

Cheers

Duncan

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 September 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Duncan,

You certainly have the hang of this site, very quick reply.

Where are you living these days? We are just up the road from Jean in  Kennoway, Fife.

My mum Susan Laing (nee Dryburgh) says her memories are of her mum Isobel talking about you when she was young. I have quite a few photos if you from when you were in India and you are mentioned in letters.

Best Wishes,

Martin

Offline dunwedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
We're not so far away - Dalgety Bay. 

I have dim memories of meeting your mum when she was a young teenager - probably at a funeral or  a wedding - she was very like her mother at around the same age or a little older.

If you would like to take this to email I'll keep my address off here but suggest you try Google for my old and very out of date business site which I have kept for technical reasons (I retired, more or less, last year).  You'll find an address that I check daily there.  The business was Otterson Business Graphics.

Cheers

Duncan

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Seems I was barking up the wrong tree with my ancestors! It wasn't David Leighton that was in Jute, but his father-in-law Michael Ferrier. He was Mill manager at Law Mill Dundee. I also think he was based in Calcutta and Candahar (sp?). I am downloading a lot of newspaper articles about him whilst the free weekend is on, so need to piece them together. Struggling to find Law Mill online, have you heard of it?
Mel
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 December 14 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Seems I was barking up the wrong tree with my ancestors! It wasn't David Leighton that was in Jute, but his father-in-law Michael Ferrier. He was Mill manager at Law Mill Dundee. I also think he was based in Calcutta and Candahar (sp?). I am downloading a lot of newspaper articles about him whilst the free weekend is on, so need to piece them together. Struggling to find Law Mill online, have you heard of it?
Mel

Hi Mel,

Apologies for the delayed response, I've not been on here for a bit.

I've just researched "Law Mill" for your - my first instinct knowing parts of Dundee reasonably well was that it must be near Dundee Law (This is an extinct volcano formed around 400 million years ago, the 572-foot peak is the city's most distinctive landmark).

With that idea in mind I set about researching the area local to the Law Hill and found Lawside Works which sits just north east of the Law Hill. Looking back the maps I found it was called Lawside Works from the early 1900's all the way through into the last map available for the 1940's. It is now a housing development located on the corner of Paterson Street and Milton Street in Dundee. I found the planning application for the new houses which was early 2000's.

I then proceeded to look more into the Mill and found it was called Law Mill on the map dated 1885.

From looking up on the RCAHMS website I found the following which suggests it was built in the 1830's. http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/68115/details/dundee+milton+street+lawside+jute+spinning+and+dye+works/

Links to maps are as follows:

1885 - http://maps.nls.uk/view/74478924
1903 - http://maps.nls.uk/view/82884861
1922 - http://maps.nls.uk/view/82884864
1941 - http://maps.nls.uk/view/82884867

It isn't marked on the 1865 map (http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426931) but Lawmill Cottages seems to suggest it existed.

This map of 1857 shows in good detail the different parts of the mill. http://maps.nls.uk/view/74415299

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Martin

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 January 15 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi martin

thank you so much for that. I haven't had a chance to look at it fully but it is very exciting. Ihe did live at Law Mill Cottages once so it will be great to see where he lived.

Thanks once again
Mel
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 January 15 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Fior an insight into Dundee folk working in the Calcutta jute mills,

"A Home by the Hooghly", by Eugenie Fraser.

Skoosh.