Author Topic: Lalors/Lawlors of Waterford & Tipperary  (Read 5324 times)

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lalors/Lawlors of Waterford & Tipperary
« on: Monday 08 July 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find more information on my Lalor/Lawlor side.  My 2nd great grandmother, Mary Lawlor was born in 1861 in St. Peter & Paul's Parish, in Waterford. Her parents were Walter Lalor and Anne (Mary) Madden.  Mary Lawlor married John Lawless in 1887 in Tipperary.  The marriage certificate stated that Walter already had passed. 

Walter & Anne were married on 2/6/1855 in Kilsheelan, Waterford.

I went onto rootsireland.ie and was able to figure out Mary's siblings: Anne, Ellen, Bridget, Margaret (Minnie), Thomas, Catherine, Richard, John, Ann & Honora.  Through ancestry.com, I believe Ann moved to MA and got married to a Daniel Finn.  I believe her sister, Bridget came over to MA too, as I found her death notice and listed her parents, as well as her immigration papers.  Minnie Lawlor married Patrick Fitzgerald, who also came over to the MA area.  I can only assume this is the same family. 

Also on rootsireland, I found a birth certificate for a Walter Lawlor born 4/2/1810 in Tipperary and died on 11/11/1872 in Poulnagunoge, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, with the informant being Anne.

I recently got into contact with a lady who thinks we have the same lineage.  She sent me a document that her Walter married a Nancy and had listed some of the same children I found.  I just can't connect the dots with 100% accuracy.

Mary Lawless (Lawlor) my 2nd great grandmother, died in Clonmel in April 1940. 

I was hoping someone maybe had some information on this family?

Offline juliegibbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lalors/Lawlors of Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. This is probably me clutching at straws. My great grandmother was called Ellen phelan she was born in 1867 in balleyragget, kilkenny. Her mother was MARY LALOR. I can't find a marriage certificate for Mary and her husband Joseph. The reason I'm contacting you is her children are mary, Thomas john, anne .and Ellen and Joseph. I know they are common names. I'm just hoping you may have seen something familiar whilst you've been searching. I really am at a dead end now. Kindest regards julie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
If the family were Catholic- have you checked the online parish records yet? remember that marriages usually take place in the bride's church which may not be where the children were baptised.
http://registers.nli.ie/

Added- see that you've already got a topic in Common Room instead of the correct Irish board looking for the marriage  :-\
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740578.msg5869722#msg5869722
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline juliegibbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
It was suggested I put something in the common room and beginners because im new to this. I don't know how to move things I'm still finding my way around the site. Thank you. Julie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
You can't move a thread yourself but just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for this to be moved to IRELAND board (since it covers more than one county).

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Just seen this post.
Ann and Nancy are the same.
Why I do not know. Most Nancy's were Baptised Ann.
A bit like Jeremiah is known as Darby and Eugene is Owen.
I have a cousin Emby, it wasn't until I saw her a photo of her in a her old school that I knew why she was called that.
Her name was Mary Bridget = MB =  Emby.
Everyone called her Emby.
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Ann(e), Nancy, Hannah and Agnes are all interchangeable.
Just to confuse things a bit further, Hannah, Johanna(h) and Han(n)ora(h), Nora(h) can also be used for the same person.