Author Topic: KILPATRICK, NICOLSON of Hamilton  (Read 1144 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
KILPATRICK, NICOLSON of Hamilton
« on: Monday 08 July 13 16:59 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to learn more about Malcolm and John KILPATRICK, sons of James KILPATRICK and Isabella NICOLSON/NICHOLSON born in Hamilton, Lanarkshire. John was born about 1877 and Malcolm around 1882.

One of them may be my great grandfather, although no father's name appears on my grandmother's 1907 birth registration. I was hoping to eliminate one as the possible ancestor by finding him married or living far away from argyllshire where the child was born. It would mean a lot to me to finally find that long lost missing puzzle piece. Thanks!

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: KILPATRICK, NICOLSON of Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
Presumably no fathers name is shown on your great grandfathers birth cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi argyllgal

How have you identified this family and these two brothers? What do you have on certificates?

Monica   :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 22:52 BST (UK) »
"They never married which is unusual at that time, unless the father was married/engaged already or of a higher class than the mother, as in the case of domestic servants."

I'm afraid that isn't true. Illegitimate births were far more common than many people realise, and only very rarely because the father was married or it was the result of higher class male and servant mother. The usual cause was two young people being human. My Scottish family tree is littered with illegitimate births!

However, a woman was not allowed to put the father's name on her illegitimate child's birth certificate unless the father accompanied her to register the child. But often they would use the father's surname as the child's middle name.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
One of her brothers was in the area in 1907 as my great grandmother had a relationship with him and had a child in late December that year.

Is this fact or hearsay?  What does the birth cert say?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
The birth registration says nothing. An elderly relative who lived in the area, and knew the people involved, has known for many years.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody,

It has taken some time, but it is no longer hearsay. DNA testing just confirmed the relationship. I have found a 3rd cousin. Her great great grandparents are the same couple that I theorized were also mine - James Kilpatrick and Isabella Nicholson. If I could figure out which of their sons is my great grandfather, it would be great, but that will take more time if it is possible at all. Excited about this long-awaited find!