Author Topic: Carnie, Brand & Noble - Newhaven and Leith  (Read 5842 times)

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carnie, Brand & Noble - Newhaven and Leith
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 10:43 BST (UK) »
Deleted as I made a mistake
Hackland.....Orkney/ Leith/ Worldwide
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Mc/Mac Donnell.....Inverness-shire
Crawford.......Douglas Lanarkshire/Newhaven Edinburgh
Keith......Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire/Perthshire/
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
 James Noble (who married Amelia Dores), parents were Alexander and Helen Noble ms Durham so James was Christina Noble's brother.  Your Emily Dores Carnie was named after her aunt.
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
I think that the grandson Liston Carnie mentioned on the census may have been Eliza Dores (Carnie)'s son.  Unfortunately I can't be sure as I can't find any certification for Eliza as she married and died before 1855
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline SpudJW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
I haven't come across Eliza yet: was she another daughter of Andrew and Isabelle?

I was wondering what happened to Amelia's other sister, Mary Dors, who I lose track of after the 1841 census.

It seems a little strange to name a daughter after an aunt by marriage, including surname; or not? But it certainly fits.

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Not strange for Newhaven....

Mary Dores married William Main and died in1903. I haven't researched their children yet but they had at least one daughter as her death certificate is witnessed by her son-in-law.

Re Eliza...I can't prove her parentage as she married and died before 1855....but there does only appear to be the one Dores family in Newhaven at the time

addition.....It seems that Mary was married twice.  First to a William Liston then to William Main.
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline Wendy Barwise

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 August 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
I may be getting somewhere....although still trying to connect

I have an Amelia Dores married to a James Noble.....Amelia was known as Emily

Amelia(Emily) is my 2x Great grandmother (I believe)  my Grandfather Gordon Noble was the son of Jean(Jane) Drybrough Noble and Watson Dores Noble who was James and Emily (Amelia's) son.  I am coming up blank for the Dores family.  I can trace back to Andrew Dores 1790 but that is about it.  Does anyone have any information?  I have heard Dores could be German but my google search doesn't come up with much. 

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
I remember reading somewhere that Newhavener's may have Flemish ancestry. I wish I could remember where I read it. It is difficult to trace people with certainty if they died before statutory records began in 1855. Andrew is as far back as I have manage to go although I have heard of the name being Dors and Doors.
Regards
Aileen
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline Newhaven Carnie_Noble

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 October 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Newhaven Cousins- I am also a Carnie and have Noble, Rutherford, Liston, Durham, Dryburgh, Flucker, Paterson, and many other "Newhaven names" in my tree.  I am new to this forum and just found it today, but wanted to share a book with you all in case you did not know about it.  Apparently it was written by a distant cousin of mine (although, in Newhaven, who ISN'T related??!!), and it is a history of the Newhaven families including historic photographs.  It is a wonderful documentation of the Fisherman's (and Fishmonger's) way of life in that area as told by the people who lived there. The book is called Newhaven-On-Forth, Port of Grace, and it was written by Tom McGowran, published in 1985.  I just searched to see if it might be available on Amazon, and it is available through 3rd party sellers.  For those of us who remember the family stories, and those of us doing research so that we may learn of them, this is a wonderful opportunity to be "transported" back in time, surrounded by our ancestors! You may even find your own family history stories that have been told here. Here is the link - https://www.amazon.com/Newhaven-Forth-Grace-Tom-McGowran/dp/0859761304.  Happy ancestral hunting, and "Lang May Yer Lum Reek!".  For those of you who have access to the Newhaven History Museum, can anyone tell me if John Stevenson and his wife Rhona are still there by any chance?

Offline lloren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 August 23 14:40 BST (UK) »
I'm my Great-grandfather was Daniel Flucker who married Sophia Thomson Carnie and my grandfather was James Carnie Flucker, fisherfolk from Newhaven. I have been working on my tree for about a year now. I have many Carnie's and Liston's, sometimes it gets very confusing with all the intermarriages with cousins marrying cousins. If any of my cousins here are on ancestry.com and can share info on our past relatives I'd really love to connect with you.
Lesley