Author Topic: John Joseph Crean  (Read 15340 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
John Joseph Crean
« on: Tuesday 09 July 13 15:51 BST (UK) »
I am doing this for a friend who is desperate for more information her father.  John Joseph Crean was born 1928 in Roscommon. He died in 2006.  He married and settled in England.  My friend knows very little of his Irish Ancestory.
Any information will be gratefully received.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Crean
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Death reg shows full birthdate as 28.7.1928

She could obtain a copy of his birth cert which will show his parentage.  The Irish 1911 is free to search so she may well find his parents on it

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 18:14 BST (UK) »

A possible match from the Civil Registration would be

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0v81/

If this is correct a Brother and sister were born to the same mother. You will find details of how to obtain a copy of the Civil Registration Doc in Ireland Resources.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks both of you. Will pass this info on to her.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 23:06 BST (UK) »

I saw that entry but discounted it as it was a registration in the December qtr whereas John's death reg shows he was born 28th July so birth should be in the September qtr

Also - Castlereagh is not in Roscommon
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

My father was born in July and his registration was not until the 4th qtr of that year(Oct-Dec). The area where I feel this  family are from where there is a concentration of Crean(Cryan) and Finan families is south of Loughglynn and a few miles from where my own father was born, so there may be a reasonable explanation for delays in registration.

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

It is not helpful to new researchers and other contributors by modifying a post in order to make a point. As you well know other contributors are not notified of modifications only new posts to an existing thread. I would hope you would refrain from such practices -  It is nothing more than sneaky!!

To make it worse your modification ,''Also - Castlereagh is not in Roscommon'' is incorrect. Castlereagh Civil Registration District covers parts of East Mayo and West Roscommon - the area I believe this family is from being south of Loughglynn which is in the Castlereagh Civil Registration District.

To help you in future you may wish to refer to http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qb2/  which details all Civil Registration District and the respective counties they cover.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Can you explain what you mean by  "modifying a post in order to make a point"

The post you see is what I posted - no modification - so I would be interested in your explanation and particularly the accusation of being sneaky which I take great exception to.

I checked where Castlereagh was using Google and it showed it as a "borough in Northern Ireland. A mainly urban borough to the south of Belfast City" hence my comment re: it not being in Roscommon.

If that is incorrect - I accept your knowledge of the districts as being greater than mine

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 20:14 BST (UK) »
I clearly read your post

I saw that entry but discounted it as it was a registration in the December qtr whereas John's death reg shows he was born 28th July so birth should be in the September qtr

It did not include

Also - Castlereagh is not in Roscommon

when I replied yesterday at 23:39 . This is the modification I am referring to. Had it included ''Also - Castlereagh is not in Roscommon'' I would have drawn your attention to your error then and not raised the issue today.

I am well aware you are familiar with the Irish boards and given your postings, 39,419 and counting, I find it difficult to accept you are unfamiliar with the Civil Registration system UK and Ireland and that you would not have Googled
Castlereagh, Roscommon to be absolutely sure, as you did when you Googled Castlereagh on its own.

You may take exception to my comment all you want. My main concern is outcomes  not at the expense of poor research.