Author Topic: John Joseph Crean  (Read 15344 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Crean
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 November 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 November 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of online Irish resources (most of them free) and some of the information you are looking for will be quite easy to find.
Have a look at this topic for more information-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442233.0
possible death for Anne Crean
a few possibles for John Crean

Thanks aghadowey the links are very useful.

Dathai, I worked out John and Anne's DOB from the ages on census and made them 1857 and 1861.   The death for Ann is 2 years out but possible?  Regards John I think that could be the one in 1945.

The marriage between John and Ann Finan is interesting especially as son Stephen married a Margaret Finan. Obviously keeping it in the family!  I think this could be them.

I tried looking for these people on family search and found nothing, I obviously haven't got the Knack ???

Would obtaining certificates give me any more information?

You have both been very helpful, thanks once again.

Jane :D   
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 November 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
What certificates? the reference topic I posted has a link to details on Irish certificates so that you can see what details you would find. It's not at all uncommon for ages in census records, vital records, etc. to be off by a number of years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 November 14 14:59 GMT (UK) »
What certificates?

Oh dear, I have done it again.  I was trying to reply to you both quickly  so you didn't think I was ignoring you.  I haven't actually read everything properly yet.  Am just going through it all now.  I am also at work and have to keep stopping and starting.

Sorry once again.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 November 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
What certificates?

I haven't actually read everything properly yet.  Am just going through it all now.  I am also at work and have to keep stopping and starting

I have read through everything and maybe  will purchase 2 copy marriage certs. The 1889 and 1924. It would appear that details of mother are not given. So I will try and find Ann and Margaret Finan. Maybe I am leaping around too much. Should I concentrate on John Joseph's brothers and sisters and go back from him.  Do one direct male at a time?

I think it may be difficult to find Bridget Crean 's maiden name and husband, ? Crean.

My friend is absolutely thrilled with what I have found with your help. When we started this week she didn't know who grandfather was and could only just remember a few uncles and aunts.  Now we can possibly go back 3 generations. Hope we on right track, I think we are. There a quite a few Creans in Roscommon.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 November 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
When you get John and Anne's marriage cert 1889 it will give both their father's name's and occupations and bride and groom's address at time of marriage.This may help you get Bridgets maiden name by searching for church microfilm's for the church where they were married in 1889.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 22 November 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
When you get John and Anne's marriage cert 1889 it will give both their father's name's and occupations and bride and groom's address at time of marriage.This may help you get Bridgets maiden name by searching for church microfilm's for the church where they were married in 1889.

Thank you will order certs on Monday. I went into Family Search and put in Crean birth Castlereagh. It gave births death and marriage. There were 400 odd! A few of the births give mothers maiden name, mainly the more modern ones. started writing them out, then thought print pages but would use hell of a lot of paper! Was hoping to sort them out into names and dob and death on spreadsheet and marriages and see if I can find any connection.  It's quite a task and not sure it's the way to go. They may not have always been in Catlereagh! I know from my Moore's of Cavan where mum was born, we assumed they originated there, wrong, her dad was from Banbridge, Down! 

I am so lucky with my dad's line, they all come from same area which has made search fairly easy.

How can we ever be sure we are following right person? It is so easy to make anything fit I.e. going for family names, grandfather was Stephen here's a Stephen must be related it's a family name. Do you see what I mean?

All that said I love the thrill of the chase. When I retire will have much more time, at moment I can't spend enough time on it.

Jane

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 22 November 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »
A search of the Tithe Applotments for 1832 gives these names in Clooncraffield
James and John Crane
William Broderick
John Noon
John Flanagan
James Stretch
https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBIE561IE561&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=clooncraffield

1901 Census shows practically same families there
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Cloonfower/Clooncraffield/