Author Topic: Hannah Matthews  (Read 6595 times)

Offline Coco2101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Matthews
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 July 13 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi lindynz and trish1120

oops!  The first entry should read...

31 Aug 1800 Elizabeth d/o Henry Matthews and Anne Ilott (baseborn)

Regards
Every time you laugh you take a nail from your coffin.

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 July 13 04:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Coco and Trish, that information looks promising so far.

Coco, I agree that finding the marriage of Hannah Matthews and Moses Cryer would be key to establishing a link to the Stanton Fitzwarren Matthews family - can anyone find it? It would be really helpful if I could establish who her parents were. The only things I know for sure about "my" Hannah are that she was born around 1809 (not in Gloucestershire) -she died in 1867 age 58, she married Moses Cryer in about 1837, she had a brother called Charles, and Hannah and Charles were both in Wellington NZ in 1849.

A couple of possible connections -the Charles who was in Wellington was a shoemaker which matches the 1841 census. And I notice that the names of Henry and Ann's children are very similar to the names of Moses and Hannah's children - Ann, Mary, Jane, Hannah, and Charles are all common to both families.

I'm interested to see the name Hall, because it has come up a couple of times in connection to the Cryer family. Some family trees have a son of Moses and Hannah called Charles HALL Cryer, b. 1845 in Lechlade, Gloucestershire. Other trees have him just as Charles Cryer - can anyone find a birth record for him which would verify the Hall part of his name? Also a Charles Hall (not born in county), age 15, was with the Cryers in Lechlade in 1841.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 July 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
I am in no doubt it is the correct Family for your Hannah.

Everything adds up.

Does Moses NZ Death Cert not say when/where he Married?

Moses/Hannah may have never Married and if a pre 1837 Marriage could be found Fathers names/occp's would not be on it only Witnesses who may or may not be related to the Bride/Groom .

Charles Cryers Death is Reg NZ 1860 age 16

Someone has a Christening date for him as 07 Sept 1845 Lechlade

Maybe someone has access to Lechlade Records?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Coco2101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 July 13 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lindy

I agree with Trish that Hannah is the daughter of Henry Matthews and Anne Ilott.

Re Alfred Matthews born 1826 in Highworth to mother Hannah.  In 1841 he is an apprentice.

From the Marriage register of St Leonard's...

Alfred Matthews (B) aged 20 married Mary Ann Leg (Sp) aged 20 (botp) on 27 Dec 1845 at Stanton Fitzwarren.
Alfred is a Shoemaker and his mother is Hannah Matthews, a farmer.  Mary Ann is the daughter of William Leg, a labourer.
Alfred signs his name and Mary Ann her mark X.  Witnesses are George and Sarah Morse.

The family are in Highworth in 1851 with a 4 year old daughter Hannah, 2 year old William and 6 month old son John.  They christen a son Henry in 1855, Highworth.

Is this the same Alfred who died in 1906 in NZ (ref A......y trees)?  Some have his father as John Matthews.

A death certificate or even a detailed death notice may confirm him to be your Hannah's son Alfred.

Regards

Every time you laugh you take a nail from your coffin.

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 July 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hannah's death certificate gives no family information, just her age (58 in 1867) and death details. Moses' certificate in 1893 has his parents, children etc, but under marriage it says "unknown". Perhaps it was assumed they were married in 1837, but nobody bothered to check? Moses had another secret - shortly before heading to NZ in 1849, he was in gaol for insolvency. I haven't yet been able to uncover much about this, but it's starting to look like they were a family in need of a fresh start.

The only information I could find so far about the Alfred Matthews who died in NZ in 1906 is that he was 80 when he died (so born around 1826), he arrived on the "Westminster" in 1856 (I haven't found a passenger list yet), and that he was in Wellington 20 years before heading to Sandon, and that he had 6 sons and 2 daughters - so it sounds like this could be our Alfred. There was another Alfred Matthews born, I believe, in 1845 in NZ, he was the son of our Charles Matthews, and he was a prominent farmer in Wairarapa, on a property called "Waiorongomai".

Offline Robin McConachy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 September 16 03:40 BST (UK) »
I am a NZ descendant of Hannah Matthews and have extensive family tree details if still required
Robin nz

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 September 16 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. Any information you are willing to share would be welcome!

Offline Robin McConachy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 September 16 05:35 BST (UK) »
I am a GGGrandaughter of Charles Matthews who emigrated to NZ in 1842 and settled at Waiorongomai in the Wairarapa.   Charles was the son of Jacob Matthews and Jane Winning and your Hannah was his sister.
Alfred Matthews and Mary Ann Legg, plus 4 children emigrated to NZ in 1856 and settled in Sanson, Manawatu.   Their daughter Hannah was later to marry Alfred, son of Charles - my GGrandparents.
Also on the same ship was Jacob and wife Ann, the youngest brother of Charles and Hannah, and they settled in Masterton, Wairarapa.
We have always understood that Alfred (son of Charles) and Hannah (daughter of Alfred) were 2nd cousins but after reading your posts it would seem that Alfred may have been Charles nephew rather than his cousin!   What a complicated family - I look forward to hearing more from you.

Offline Robin McConachy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 September 16 07:39 BST (UK) »
Correction to my post:
Charles Matthews was the grandson of Jacob Matthews and Jane Winning.
His parents were Henry Matthews and Ann Elliot (variety of spellings for Elliot)
Robin NZ