Author Topic: Rampling's from Bury St Edmond  (Read 13558 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rampling's from Bury St Edmond
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 02:23 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to know James's cause of death if he worked with lead.  :-\

Moving on a bit ... Peter, did James marry in Australia? Do you have his marriage certificate? Does it give his father's name?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
We need another response from Peter.

You can't be connected to both Henry and James as they are separate families.

Have been studying both of them (lots of threads on Rootschat too) and, as has been suggested, the online trees on Ancestry are 'up the pole' so to speak.

The final synopsis is:

Henry Rampling was bp.4/3/1820 Long Melford, Suffolk son of a James Rampling, Shoemaker and wife Sarah.   Father James (bc.1794 Long Melford) later lived in London (Lambeth) and never went to Australia.

James Rampling's ticket of leave clearly shows he was from Bury St. Edmunds so surely he must be the James b.2/11/1785, bp.28/12/1785 St. Mary, BSE, son of James Rampling and Caroline Spink.
siblings:
?Susan b.14/3/1791, bp.14/6/1791 Sudbury (?)
Elizabeth b.27/3/1793, bp.20/5/1793 St. Mary, Bury St Edmunds
Thomas b.9/3/1797, bp.2/6/1800     ditto
William b.3/10/1800, also bp.2/6/1800 ditto

Caroline Ramplin bc.1767 bur.18/11/1803 St. Mary, Bury St Edmunds

Looks like James Rampling senior remarried:

James Rampling, wdr. married Sarah Juby, widow, 21/5/1804 St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds.

I can't find any definite sighting of this family after the re-marriage so wonder if the family moved to London and hence why James junior's crime was committed there.

So, which of these 2 are you connected to, Peter?   James or Henry?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Good work Annette. Lets hope for a response from Peter soon.  :)

Offline Genesis Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 April 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have spent literally hours following what others have compiled in Ancestry and was having gut feeling there were various mistakes. I don't know Peter, but I am also from James Rampling who was a convict sent to Australia. It was when I found the birth to Caroline Spink that I realised a lot was wrong and in the search to discover "what", I found this chat. Another James RAMPLIN was also convicted 16 March 1849 at the County Sessions, Bury St Edmund, for Larceny; and received a sentence of 6 weeks (along with Jonathan GROOM and Matilda ASHMAN). Perhaps this was the father of the convict James, or a cousin of same name??? Henry who was also a convict, married at Armidale, NSW. I currently have only his birth of c1821 Suffolk. Are you sure of no connection to James? Again, it was wonderful to find this thread. Did Peter ever make contact again? Regards, Adel

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 April 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Adel.

I'm afraid Peter has not logged into Rootschat since July 2013. I hope all is well with him and that he returns soon. If he has ticked the right boxes he should get an email notification that there has been a reply to his thread.

In the meantime, if you would like any specific help you can start a thread of your own on the appropriate board. This way your question will probably get more attention than tagging it onto the end of Peter's thread. If you do that could you please provide a link to this thread (just saying that there is a thread which mentions the same people). This will save anyone from going over old ground and looking for things you already have.

Good luck.

Offline Genesis Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 April 14 04:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the suggestion Ruskie ;) It might seem a silly question, and I might discover the answer later myself, but is there an easy way to attach the link or is it a copy/paste affair? Regards, Adel

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 April 14 04:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is just a copy and paste of the url.  :)

I think there was a little confusion in Peter's thread, and unfortunately he hasn't returned to set us straight, so having your own thread is probably the best idea.

Give as much information as you can and let us know what you are hoping to find/clarify. The difficulty is in knowing whether to post your question on the Suffolk or Australia board, as you do have some crossover with information findable in both places ...  :-\

We all know that some of the trees online are wrong and people seem to just blindly copy them which perpetuates the errors.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

Offline AussieJules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie & Genesis Searcher,

I am a RAMPLING from Sydney Australia and I think that some of the comments on this thread are indeed wrong. Rampling was an uncommon surname in Australia, but having said that they are not all related to my knowledge. Maybe way back in the mother country. There were more than two RAMPLINGS sent to Australia as convicts with more than one Henry and James RAMPLING. This is were the confusion arises with the many online trees. I have been researching my Ramplings for 30 years, but have given up trying to convince others they are going down the wrong track.

The James Rampling senior that Annette referred to living in Lambeth was indeed related to at least two Rampling lines in Australia. He had two sons James Rampling who he corresponded with in Victoria and kept him informed of the lives of his daughters who married PORTER brothers and lived in Essex if I remember correctly and his remaining sons in England. He enquires in several of his letters about his other son Henry living in Armidale, NSW. James apparently was sent to NZ as punishment as a young teenager and was apprenticed for that time period before marrying his wife and moving to Victoria to the goldfields and bringing up a family. I don't think the two brothers met in Australia..the letters are unclear, but I think the cousins may have possibly met?

Prior to seeing copies of these letters online (originals in State Library of Vic I think), I had know idea who the parents of Henry Rampling (my direct ancestor) convict per 'Woodbridge'. Convict records do not show parentage, just state native of a County and country if you are lucky. Unfortunately convicts in Australia, as I am sure elsewhere, tried to disguise their convict heritage as much as possible. I was lucky that the chain of documents from Henry's death survived to prove the link between him and this particular convict record. Many don't.

Also many researchers assume that the place that convicts are convicted in is the same as their place of birth. They don't seem to appreciate how many of the population travelled around the country or indeed to other countries for work.

Just thought I would add my thoughts...I am a newbie to this forum.

Julie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Julie.  :) Lets hope those with Rampling roots return to find your message.  :)

It is a shame that Peter has not returned to his thread (as you two may be cousins). As he has only made two posts (rather than the required three) sadly we are unable to send him a personal message to direct him back to his thread.  :(