Author Topic: Rampling's from Bury St Edmond  (Read 13565 times)

Offline AussieJules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rampling's from Bury St Edmond
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Ruskie,

I only posted so that people realise that you can spend 30 years before something proving a link turns up and just as likely still be none the wiser after 30years. :)

I was skeptical that these letters related to me at first so spent lots of money on certs and then got a friend going to research in Melbourne to copy the letters or at least read them. The letter mentioning the brother Henry RAMPLING in Armidale was not posted online, so I still would not be certain, if my friend had not helped me out at the State library.

Regarding James RAMPLING Snr living in Lambeth..I still dont have a death or census after I think 1871 and still don't know who he was married to? I at first jumped to the Sparke line when I began researching via the LDS micofiche, years ago..but stopped searching as soon as I found a match. Now as an experienced researcher, I realise how many people with same names lived in such close proximity. I still think the TURNER marriage might be related to my Henry RAMPLING per Woodbridge, as he gave TURNER as a middle name to his son and I can not find a reason for it. His wife's maiden name was PALMER, so the link does not appear to be Maternal.

I hope Peter and Genisis Searcher both contact me! :)

PS: the link with some of the letters posted by 'morryack' from a previous rootschat is here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=333621.18

Another link to info on this same James RAMPLING (not the James per Indefatigable)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=75073.msg4432291#msg4432291

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 01:36 GMT (UK) »
A James Rampling arrived in NSW, Australia on the "Indefatigable" on 26 Apr 1815, having sailed from England in Oct 1814 in a batch of 200 prisoners. He was convicted "at London Jail Delivery" (?) of Forgery and was sentenced to 14 years. He was born 2 Nov 1785 and died 4 Jun 1850, aged 64.

Primary Source: Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 87, Class and Piece Number HO11/2, Page Number 180

Source Description: This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.

A Community Contribution has added the following:[/b]
Adel Vera Firth-Mason on 1st May, 2014 wrote:
Certificate of Freedom of 24/04/1828, and a previous conviction of Grand Larceny of 28/11/1806 at Bury St Edmunds, both affirm his place of birth as Bury St Edmunds. His baptism was 28/12/1785 to parents James Rampling and Caroline Spink.

Convict Changes History
Adel Vera Firth-Mason on 1st May, 2014 made the following changes:
date of birth: 2nd November, 1785 (prev. 0000), date of death: 4th June, 1850 (prev. 0000), crime

All the above is available online at http://www.convictrecords.com.au/

Hope the above helps sort out which Rampling is which ?

Regards
francoso

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 01:39 GMT (UK) »
That looks very useful francoso.  :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

In light of the fact James senior lists his birthplace as Long Melford on the 1861 Census, have you been able to completely discount the James baptised in 1793 in the parish to Simon and Elizabeth?  I can't see a burial for him, in Long Melford anyway, but familysearch are showing at least one baptism to the couple in Sudbury.  I can't see a burial for that James in Sudbury either.  Suffolk Marriage Index is showing a marriage of a Simon Ramplin and Elizabeth Garwood in Alpheton in 1782.  I can't see a baptism in Long Melford for Simon Ramplin but I'm not sure if the extracted records for the parish I have are complete for the surname, my own Ramplin line were from Hitcham but we did extract quite a few over the years from other parishes.

I have to admit when I posted the Sudbury/Melford baptisms for James and Sarah on the other thread in 2008, I wasn't aware that James senior did appear on the 1861 Census with a birthplace of Long Melford.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline AussieJules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 March 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smudwhisk!

I am unsure about the parentage or wife of James Rampling Snr (born c1793 Long Melford Suffolk) and widower living at 3 Gloucester St, Lambeth in the 1861 ENG census.

I have put together a family group based on all the old posts I could find...including yours and research through UK parish regs and censuses, together with the info on the letters kindly posted by Maurice.

Henry arrived in Australia aged 17yrs in 1839 (convict per Woodbridge) and died aged 53yrs in a Lunatic Asylum in Sydney and didn't have any details regarding his birth and parentage on his NSW death certificate. Henry's brother James Rampling Jnr, who arrived in Australia via New Zealand, ended up at Ballarat, VIC raising his family. He died aged 69yrs in 1895 at Warnambool, VIC but his death certificate is a very difficult image to read, but it states he was born Suffolk Eng and his father was James a bootmaker and mother's name was too feint to read.

I would like to connect with the descendants of Henry & James siblings, especially the Porter girls, who remained in England to find out where James Rampling Snr ended up after appearing in the 1861 Census in Lambeth, Eng.

I think to save confusing them with other Rampling families from Suffolk, I will start a new thread and post links to these previous threads.

Julie

Offline Genesis Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 March 15 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have seen the message and answered through another link. I am descended from James, whose baptism was confused with the other in England. His Ticket of leave (I think it was I found) had given his origin which then solved that problem, although the chap in NZ says I am wrong because he has compiled it differently (although he'd missed the TOL which had dreadful transcription errors on Ancestry). One plan I have is do a DNA test through Family Tree DNA. If we "Rampling" folk all do it, we will prove or disprove blood kinship. A mystery to solve :-)

Offline AussieJules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 March 15 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adele,

Thanks for getting in touch... I will reply via email as requested.

Julie

Offline Gayle D

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 28 May 22 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello. I’m trying to find the mother of my maternal grandmother. All I know is that her mother was Bertha Rampling and there is no father recorded on her birth certificate. My grandmother Evelyn Muriel Rampling was born in Walnut Tree house in Sudbury, district of Bury St Edmonds. We’ve never been able to find any clues as to who her mother is or what happened to Bertha as my Grandmother grew up as an orphan. Any clues where to start? Thanks