Author Topic: Castlerea, Roscommon - HEALY/GIBLIN  (Read 10423 times)

Offline Astrila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Castlerea, Roscommon - HEALY/GIBLIN
« on: Tuesday 16 July 13 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hello -

I am looking for info about the Healy family from Castlerea.  All I know about them so far (some confirmed, some not) is:

Patrick Healy married Mary Giblin.  Their known to me children were:
-Michael, Mary, Margaret, Patrick, & James Healy.

Michael stayed in Ireland, married Mary Ann Maloney in about 1891 and had:
-Patrick, who stayed in Ireland, Bridget, Katherine (Mary Kate), and Margaret (who also stayed in Ireland and married an unknown McGarry).

I am new to this forum, so I hope this format is not too confusing; I appreciate any information that you may be able to provide.

Thanks for your help!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Castlerea, Roscommon - HEALY/GIBLIN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 06:28 BST (UK) »

Just posting the two census records for Michael, son of Patrick Healey and Mary Giblin, it gives readers of your thread some immediate background:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Loughglynn/Carrowgarve/1662570/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Loughglinn/Carrowgarve/766061/

RootsIreland has a church marriage record for a Patrick "Haly" and Mary Giblin in Co. Roscommon in 1853, it's pay to view - but be warned this may show no more than the parish, their names, and the witnesses.  There are also baptisms in respect of those parent names for Michael #1 1855, Michael #2 1856, Margaret 1859, and James 1864.

Offline Astrila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info. 

I will look into the records you mentioned, and thanks for the warning that they may not be helpful.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 July 13 01:15 BST (UK) »
I searched a couple of site for you and came up with the following:
Birth of James HEALY in 1964 This clearly shows mother’s name as GIBLIN

however I found this marriage in Tibohine-Fairymount Parish on March 3rd 1892
Michael HEALY; Groom’s parents given as Patrick HEALY and Mary CASEY/address Carrowgarriff
Mary MULLOWNEY; Bride’s parents given as Dominic MULLOWNEY and Catherine FLANAGAN/address Barnacowley
Witnesses were Patrick McLOUGHLIN & Brigid FLANAGAN
Husband shown as a widower implying that Michael was previously married

Civil Reference: Jan-Mar 1892 Castlereagh Michael HEALY to Mary MULLOWNEY Volume 4 Page 103

On searching I found a marriage in 1890 in Tibohine-Fairymount Parish of
Michael HEALY; Groom’s parents given as Patrick HEALY and Mary GIBLIN/address Carrowgarriff
Catherine MORAN; Bride’s parents given as William MORAN and Margaret COSTELLO/address Aughrim
Witnesses: John GIBLIN & Bee HOPKINS

Civil Reference: Jan-Mar 1890 Castlereagh Volume 4 Page 97

There is a death record in Jan-Mar 1892 Castlereagh Volume 4 Page 105 of a Catherine HEALY aged 31.

Census return for William and Margaret MORAN in 1901

There are baptism records for Brigid 1893, Patrick 1897 and Margaret in 1900 on rootsireland.ie
in Tibohine-Fairymount Parish with the mother’s name MULLOWNEY
and for Mary Catherine HEALY in 1894 with mother’s name MOLONEY.

Probable Civil References are:
Brigid Castlereagh Apr-Jun 1893 Volume 4 Page 112
Mary Catherine Castlereagh Jan-Mar 1895 Volume 4 Page 112 – she may have been registered late
Patrick Castlereagh Jul=Sep 1897 Volume 4 Page 98
Margaret Castlereagh Jul-Sep 1900 Volume 4 Page 104 or Oct-Dec 1900 Volume 4 Page 91

There is a marriage in 1930 for a Margaret HEALY with a possible spouse Patrick McGARRY
Castlereagh Jul-Sep 1930 Volume 4 Page 50;
searching for McGARRY births with a mother HEALY after that date gives results in Belmullet only.

Hope that some of this helps my great grandmother was Brigid GIBLIN b.Dec 13 1842
to John GIBLIN and Mary RODGERS from the same area and possibly related! ;)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Astrila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 July 13 13:44 BST (UK) »

You guys are seriously awesome on here!  Both posts have been helpful so far - I did get the records that Gaffy provided, and they were a match and they were helpful - now I have a potential new location in which to look for Patrick Healy and Mary Giblin - Carrick-on-Shannon (and I got the witness names too which should help me tie everything together once I get more information).

Myluck!, all of the birth/baptism records were helpful.  The marriage record for Margaret Healy is one I have been looking for - I do know she married a McGarry, but I did not know the first name; they did not have any biological children, so this very well may be them.  The marriages of Michael Healy are interesting and have me intrigued.  I am definitely going to look into this more, and I can't thank you enough for the information.  (If I ever stumble upon a connection to your Giblin, I will certainly let you know).

This is the first time my research has taken me to Ireland, and I found myself unsure of where to go and what resources were available.  I'm lucky I stumbled onto this site - there are great resources and wonderful people!

I appreciate the time you both took to look into this for me!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 July 13 15:21 BST (UK) »
No problem hope if works out for you

Personnally I'd say the Michael Healy marriage to Catherine Moran is 99% correct based on address and parents especially when the marriage to Mary Mullowney shows him as a widower.
The first record could be mis-transcribed, badly written or incorrect to start off with!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Astrila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 July 13 00:17 BST (UK) »
I agree with you about the marriages - I'm sure that's them; I just like to do a little cross checking to see if I'm able to disprove anything on the certificates, and so far I have not been able to.  This is a good sign   :) 

Thanks again!

Offline aisling526

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi -- I randomly came across this post and was wondering if you have a tree on Ancestry or have done DNA testing. I have the following names in my direct tree -- Giblin, Rogers (spelled both ways in various places!!), Scally. And they were from Loughglynn... and I believe Carrowgarve. My Mary Giblin was born in Aghaderry, Loughglynn. 

If you want to send me you email address, I will send you an invitation to my Ancestry tree. You don't have to be a member if you are invited. If you are a member, my tree is here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/81283711/family. I am also on GEDmatch with the kit # A460719 (Name -- Patricia Noone).

I also have family just over the border in Leitrim.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Patty

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat!

I don't have my tree on ancestry but I had a quick look at your tree
I can't see an immediate match but there are many names in common but of course that's one of the issue in researching - common names!

My ggm was Brigid GIBLIN b. Dec 13 1842; Father John GIBLIN; Mother Mary RODGERS

Unrelated & unconfirmed, but also from Loughglynn Catherine SCALLY bc1830 da1911 was my gggm
She married Pat McDERMOTT Feb 07 1853 in Loughglynn
Further generations: