Author Topic: John Robert Tilley  (Read 12477 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Robert Tilley
« on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
I have just had a very frustrating couple of hours at our local library using Ancestry and Find My Past and I wondered if it’s a case of a fresh pair of eyes.  Can someone please help find members of the Tilley family from the 1901 details. 

1901 at Canton, Cardiff
Frederick Tilley, Head, 34, Dock Labourer, born Cardiff
Annie, wife, 30, born Cwmsyfiog, Mon
John Robert, son, 9, Cardiff
Elizabeth A, daug, 8, Cardiff
James T, son, 6, Cardiff
Alfred, son, 4, Cardiff
Winifred M, 2, Cardiff

A decade later Annie now Sarah Ann Tilley is head of the household at 7 Bute Terrace, Brithdir, Glam.  Listed as married, age 40, Charwoman, born Cwmsyfiog.  Of those listed on the 1901 only Winifred May is at home, aged 12, born Cardiff.  There was a new addition to the family, a son named Clifford Lewis Tilley, born c.1906.  For some strange reason I could not locate Frederick, John Robert, Elizabeth, James or Alfred ???  According to Sarah Ann, she stated she was married details (20 years, 8 children born, 8 children still alive.) 

My main interest is John Robert Tilley.  At some point he immigrated to New Zealand but I failed to find his departure.  His WW1 service papers are on line, served with the New Zealand Rifle Brigade in France, wounded in action, hospitalised in England, repatriated back to NZ where he died in 1935. His initial date of departure to NZ is the only piece of the zigsaw not found. 

I couldn’t locate his father and siblings on the 1911 either and my first thought was maybe they travelled to NZ also but unfortunately my search was unsuccessful.  I would be very grateful if anyone can help locate details of John Robert Tilley’s passage to NZ. 

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Robert Tilley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
There's a Frederick Tilley death in SepQ 1931 in Cardiff, aged 66. Only 2 years out from his age according to the 1901 census.

Strangely I can't find his birth in Cardiff (though there's a John Frederick S Tilley born in Merthyr in 1867 which ties in with the age on the 1901).

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Deidre
Thanks for taking interest in my post: Likewise I couldn't find his birth either; found his marriage registered in Cardiff and the birth of six children all born Cardiff but not Frederick's ??? ??? 
Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a John R Tilly going to Brisbane 21.2.1908 from London on the orient Line ship Omrah.He's a labourer ,no age.
Brother Alfred seems to end up in Canada.
Alfred Tilley 30 born Cardiff farmer married Edna Witzel dom servant 32 born Huron.30.11.1927 Creiton Ontario.
Alfred s of Frederick Tilley and Sarah Ann Abraham.Her parents William Witzel and Mary Fink b?
Can't spot when he went.
Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
Me Again
This is weird.
1911 Canadian Census Huron south
Ruben Dasey 36 arrived 1888 Farmer
Mary 34
Elizabeth 75 arrived 1888 mother
Alfred Tillie 13 adpoted son.arrived 1909 labourer
I'd be thinking British Home Children from Childrens homes such as Barnardos.
It looks like John Robert may have chosen to go South and Alfred West.
James Thomas Tillie also went to Canada joining up 5.7.1915 next of  kin Sarah Tillie 7 Bute Terrace Cardiff.Says he is a farmer born 19.4.1895.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker
You certainly have the right family; thank you so much for the details; anything you can find will be gratefully received.  Regards, Roy

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 July 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
Got a few more thing for you
Alfred Tilley is included on a database of Home Children in Canadian archives.
Alfred age 11 on Tunisian arrived 3.101.1910 Liverpool to Halifax going to Banardos home in Ontario at Peterborough.
James is not on there and only thing I can find for him is the attestation papers I've already mentioned.(He had a burn on his left arm.Had a fair complexion,was5ft 7 blue eyes and brown hair and was Methodist).
Alfred was called up 13.6.1918 .also named his mother as next of kin ,born 22.7.1897 Methodist,dark complexion,blue eyes and black hair 5ft 51/2.
He and his wife Edna are on the Canadian electoral role at Crediton -Huron until 1972.The 1935 gives and address of 2 Dashwood but none of the others do.
As for the other children.
Elizabeth Amelia (born Mar 1893) seems to marry in Merthyr T. June 1918 Evan J Williams 11a 1255.There are no other Elizabeth A's in the area).
Clifford also marries there Mar 1929 a Miss Evans 11a 959 and is born there Dec 1905.
Looking at the 1911 census ,and the 8 children you quote.
 Sarah Ann Abrahams married sep 1890 Frederick Tilley Cardiff 11a 566 and they have been married 15 years until Clifford is born,given that her first 5 children are born every 5th quarter there is plenty of a gap between Winifred May in Dec 1898 and Clifford in Dec 1905 for 2 more.
There are 4 Tilleys registered between these dates still alive in 1911.
Thomas and Wallace June 1901
Gladys Blanch and Frederick Sep 1902.
It looks like Wallace and Frederick are not theirs on the 1911.She is the daughter of John and Elizabeth Abrahams miner probably GRO Bedwelty June 1869 11a 97.
Fred Tilley senior may be the following man
Alfred Tilley born Sep 1965 Cardiff 11a 246 who died ad Frederick Tilley Sep 1931 Cardiff 11a 412 age 66 and therefore born 1865.
1881 21 Mortimer Road Cardiff
John Tilley 47 mason's lab Box Wiltshire
Elizabeth 42 Llanwit Major
Mary A 18 gen ser LLanwit Major
Alfred 15 mason's lab Canton
Amelia 13 Canton
Eliza J 4 LLanwit Major
Laura 2 Canton
In 1871 they where in Somerset Lyncombe and Widecombe & Grundson Place with an extra child Henry A age 8mths born Somerset Combe Down.
Can't spot any of them in 1891.
And 1911 still no luck
Sorry
Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 July 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
Have found more.
Elizabeth Tilley age 21 servant 24.6.1913 Michagan  Port Heron border crossing. From Toronto
Father Frederick Tilley 7 Bute Terrace South Wales mother Eliza Jane.(Strange).
Also a trip 18.12.1911 on the Hesperian from Toronto 5 ft 1 brown hair and eyes father Frederick Tilley
She departed form Liverpool for  Canada on the Hesperian 12.8.1911 and arrived 16.12 1911.
Which doesn't explain where she was in 1911 census.
Hate to ask this but when was John Robert Tilley born?
There is a record for a John R Tilley born 14.11.1891 admitted 26.10.1904 to Doctor Barnardos school no 5369 Copperfield Road School ,Tower Hamlets,not in the right area I know ,but right birth date ?It closed in 1908 and there are no more details.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 July 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
According to his attestation papers John Robert Tilley was born 14 November 1891 in Canton, Cardiff.  He was baptised on the 20th January 1892 in the Parish Church of St. John. Thanks for the details, you certainly have been busy, I will digest your latest findings and reply later.
Regards, Roy