Author Topic: Darby (Derby) and Baker families Ewhurst  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darby (Derby) and Baker families Ewhurst
« on: Tuesday 16 July 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
I am researching my links with the Darby family of Ewhurst, beginning with Thomas Darby and Mary then via William Darby and Lydia Baker and their daughter Mary.

I have been unable to confirm the maiden name of Mary who married Thomas I assume some time before 1710 when their daughter Anne was born. Possibilities are Thomas and Mary Porteous married Hastings 1703 or Thomas and Mary Kine married Dallington 1709. There is a birth and death record in Dallington for the daughter of the latter, namely Mary 1713-1717. There is also a burial for Mary wife of Thomas in Wadhurst 1745, but nothing to connect everything together. Thomas's death and burial details are unknown.

For the parents of Lydia Baker, there appears to be one family living in Ewhurst at the time but I have been unable to find a link, namely Thomas Baker and Jane Rogers who married in Ewhurst in 1704. There is a period between 1709 and 1713 where no children are recorded where Lydia could fit.

William and Lydia had a son William born 1741, could he have married Katherine Creece in Rye 1768.

There is also an unknown daughter born 1748, could this have been Karen-Happuch, wife of John Bull who was burried in Ewhurst 1828 aged 80.

I am also interested in a marriage in Ewhurst in 1736 between a John Darby and Ruth Baker, possibly sibblings or cousins of William and Lydia, but I have been unable to trace them anywhere.

If anyone has anything that may help, I would be very grateful.

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Darby (Derby) and Baker families Ewhurst
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Baker and Jane Rogers are my ancestors.
Thomas was born in Salehurst as was his father John although it also states John was from Bodiam on his burial notes
As a member of the Sussex FHG I have tried to look for your Lydia but haven't found her.
I am connected to his son Thomas who was born 1705 who married Elizabeth Giles.

John Baker married Ann Dicker born Bodiam 1642 14/1/1663 in Bodiam.
John Born March 1626 in  Bodiam. Died Jan 1707 in Salehurst  Ann born 1642

Ann Father Joseph Dicker born 1613 Bodiam his wife was Marie Kine born 1608 Hellingly.
I try to think that women may have gone to be with their parents when pregnant so try all villages in the area.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 July 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you have a connection with the Kine family aswell. If you assume that William's father, Thomas Darby, was married to Mary Kine, and follow this line backwards, you have a Mary Kine born 1603 in Ticehurst, daughter of George and Mary Farmer. Haven't done much digging yet but did wonder whether it was this Mary that married your Joseph Dicker.

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
I also am descended from William Darby & Lydia Baker, by their dau. Lydia bpt.1734-7-7 in Ewhurst who Married Samuel Unicombe/Unicom  1759-1-5 in Ewhurst. This Mar. by the way is NOT on the SMI CD. Their dau. Hannah 1766-1812 married into my Bryant line in 1785 at Brede.
Sedlescombe- Smith, Bryant,
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Mountfield - Smith & Baker
Brede - Smith & Crouch

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I also have Lydia marrying Samuel Unicorn with daughter Hannah but had not gone further down that line. Where do you have James Bryant being born as i am also connected to the Bryant's of Beckley, Northiam and Rolvenden for  this time period.

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Alan19; James Bryant was bpt. in Ninfield in 1759, son of John & Margaret Bridger. All his children were bpt. at Sedlescombe, where the majority of the family settled. I am not aware of any in Beckley or Rolvenden, have a few references for Northiam.
Legacy
Sedlescombe- Smith, Bryant,
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Mountfield - Smith & Baker
Brede - Smith & Crouch