Author Topic: 10 Year Search - Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford  (Read 1447 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
10 Year Search - Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford
« on: Wednesday 17 July 13 15:57 BST (UK) »
I and now three other people that I have communicated with have all reached a Proverbial Brick Wall in our Allard/Allwood Family history. We all end currently with the marriage at All Saints Church, Wetheringsett of James Allard/Allwood and Mary Potter. The Banns for James Allard and Mary Potter, both being single and of the parish of Wetheringsett were published on the 5th, 12th and 18th May 1773 by the curate, Rayner Bellman. Tha actual entry in the register of the marriage is as follows:
James Allwood of this Parish, single man and Mary Potter of this Parish, single woman, married 17th May 1773, by Rayner Bellman, Curate in the presence of Thomas Quinton and John Sheppard, Parish Clerk.
What is interesting is that James signed his name, Mary made her mark, so James had some education. We can find no trace of a baptism, or birth for Allwood/Allard at Wetheringsett yet it states he was from that Parish. Can anyone help at all, this has been a frustration for 10 years now. He must be on some birth record somewhere around this area, it would be such a lovely day to track down his parents, another person suggested that a variant may be Offord, but there are lots of Allards prior to 1773 around Suffolk and I just feel that he belongs to one of them. Any assistance whatsoever would really be appreciated by all four of us searching for an opening through the door! Thank you.

Graham Allard :'(
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline hmchmchmc126

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Year Search - Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 July 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Graham
I'm afraid I can't help with the longed for info you're searching for, fact is I too am searching for the same.
However I thought it was about time I said 'Hi' seeing that we are almost certainly related. I have often come across your name on the web and having seen your latest and most recent one thought it about time I introduced myself.
My Allard link comes through James born 1851, son of James and Ellen Avis. His son was my grandfathers father. Such a shame there are no Allards to continue this line now.
I know how you feel about the missing James, he has to be somewhere! I have a similar problem with another line. It is so frustrating.

Best wishes Hilary

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Year Search - Wetheringsett-Cum-Brockford
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 July 13 00:57 BST (UK) »
Afraid I can't come up with a baptism but thought I'd just clarify one point.   You say the banns/marriage state he from that parish.   That doesn't necessarily mean he was a native of the parish, just that he was now resident in the parish.   Indeed, there don't appear to be any burials for the name in Wetheringsett prior to himself and subsequent family.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk