Author Topic: Elizabeth Archard otherwise Hayes of Crudwell (c1700-?)  (Read 2135 times)

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Archard otherwise Hayes of Crudwell (c1700-?)
« on: Thursday 18 July 13 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'd be extremely grateful for any help with identifying the parents of Elizabeth Archard Hayes.

Her sons, John White(J2) and George White(G2) were baptised at Hankerton (1728 and 1729). In both cases, her surname was written as "Archard otherwise/alias hayes" and she is described as of Crudwell. There are several Archard als Hays of Crudwell according to Wiltshire Archives catalogue. She married George White of Hankerton and Tetbury at Sherston Magna in 1726. George White (G1) was from a reasonably wealthy family - both his children would have significant inheritances.

I have, however, been unable to find a baptism record (or  any evidence as to who her parents might be) in the parish registers for Crudwell or any of the neighbouring parishes. There is a family tree on Ancestry which has her parents as Giles Archard alias Hayes and Edith Ludlow but, given it has no source, I think that's purely based on the fact that Giles and Edith married in Crudwell at approximately the 'correct' time.

I do, however, have a strong suspicion she is related to a character called "John Weakes". Potentially, Weakes is her mother's maiden name?

John Weakes's will (a solicitor's copy, dated 1749) mentions the following relatives:
  • Kinsman George White [G2] son of George [G1] and Elizabeth White (both deceased)
  • Kinsman John White son (and heir-at-law) of George and Elizabeth White (both deceased)
  • Kinsman John Archard otherwise known as Hayes
  • Kinswoman Mary Chambers widow of Giles Chambers of Nailsworth, Horsley
  • Giles Chambers son of Mary Chambers (less than 18 years old)
  • Giles Archard otherwise known as Hayes of Tetbury
  • Kinsman John, Henry and Mary, children of Henry Archard otherwise known as Hayes (deceased)

Various deeds describe John Weakes as "Great-Uncle" to George White [G2].

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated :)

Thanks,

Ben

Offline Dreamingoutloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Archard otherwise Hayes of Crudwell (c1700-?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 17 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben,

I can point you to the baptism record (or send it to you if needed), but it still doesn't entirely answer the question of her parentage. Unfortunately for us, Elisabeth daughter of William and Mary Archard als Hay was baptised Nov 1 1697 at Crudwell in Wiltshire, but on the same page it shows that Elisabeth daughter of John and Catharine Archard als Hay was baptised on Nov 21 1698 at Crudwell in Wiltshire. Note that the name of each child is spelt Elisabeth in this record. Still not sure which is our Elisabeth.

There is a possible marriage record for William Hayes and Mary Mills for 4 Feb 1691 at Minety Wiltshire - both are described as being from Crudwell. However, this may or may not be connected - at the moment its unclear why and in what contexts the alias Hay(es) was used.

The search continues...

Best wishes,
Sharon

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 December 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the response. It still remains a bit of a brick-wall four years later!

Through tracing all the individuals in John Weake's will, I have weakly concluded that the Elizabeth Archard Hayes who married George White, is probably the daughter of John Archard and Catharine.

Primarily because the 1749 will mentions Elizabeth, Mary, John, Giles and Henry Archard and suggests they're of the same generation. Those names are the children of John and Catharine. There are baptisms for Elizabeth, Mary, John Giles and Henry in Crudwell from 1693 to 1706. Intriguingly the first baptisms make no mention of Archard - e.g. in 1693 Mary Hay is baptised to John and Catharine Hay.

I haven't found John and Catharine's marriage, however, circumstantial evidence suggests Catharine's surname is Weakes (it's the only way all the various references to John Weakes in the 1749 will and elsewhere can be reconciled without extremely distant kinship relationships).

Ben

Edit: And, for completeness - John who married Catharine is a son of John and Mary. Evidence for that being a baptism record, John Junior being referred to as John Junior and a grave inscription in Crudwell churchyard.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 December 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Catherine Archard alias Hays leaves a Will in 1763 at the Archdeanary of Wilts.
Presumably if you got a copy it would mention her daughter.
Her husband John leaves a Will the same year.
refs  P3/A/423 and P3/A/424

It seems they lived quite a long time.(I'm assuming that it's the same couple).
But there is also a will for John of Crudwell 1732 P3/H/1101 Salisbury wills index.
John Archard alias Hays senior Will   1696 P3/H/759 is also there.
Mary widow  1684 P3/A/185

also Sarah 1692 yeoman's wife P3/H708 (not sure who she is).

So plenty to go at.

ps it looks like Catherine was buried 10 Feb 1759 so it took some time for her Will.
And your John (yeoman) was still alive in 1727 as he is bondsman on son Giles marriage bond to Sarah Pooll

Ciderdrinker

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. Finger's crossed they will soon be available online - Wiltshire Archives had been expecting them to appear on Ancestry mid-November:

http://www.wshc.eu/blog/item/wiltshire-wills.html

Ben

Offline Dreamingoutloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I agree that the wills may help shed light on who is related to who.

I noticed that there is a baptismal record for John and William Archard, sons of John and Catharine Archard, born 12 January 1675(6) in Corsham. It looks like they could be twins, and I wondered whether these are the John Archard alias Hay and William Archard alias Hay who both have daughters named Elisabeth in 1697 and 1698? I wondered whether they began using the alias Hay to distinguish them from their father and/or other relatives?

Sharon