Author Topic: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.  (Read 10494 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 21 July 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
1861 census shows the following family:

72 How Lane (?)
Walmersley Rd, BURY
James Kempster   42, overlocker, b Manchester
Betty Kempster   50, b Oldham
John Kempster   17, Cotton Mule Winder, b Bury
Thomas Kempster 19, Cotton Mule Winder, b Bury - at least I'm fairly sure that's it
Elizabeth Kempster   11, scholar

So it would seem that this may be Thomas and his father with occupations that fit the marriage entry.

There is another  possible for Ann(e) ELLIS in the 1861 census, living in West Derby Lancashire, with occupation 'house servant' and in the right age group but unfortunately the birth place is given merely as 'Wales' with no clues as to which county. West Derby is a fair way from Bury though so this seems a long shot.
Another Ann ELLIS, 23, housemaid, b "N Wales" is living in Burnley in 1861 which is a bit closer to Bury but not the correct age although I doubt that a housemaid's age is always correct in census documents.

Is this the correct Robert ELLIS in 1861 - perhaps stone mason is not so far from builder?  :-\

Llanllyfi
Robert Ellis    55, parish clerk, & stone mason
Cathrine Ellis   51
William Ellis    24, slate quarrier
John Ellis   21, slate quarrier
Richard Ellis 17, slate quarrier
Robert Ellis    15, slate quarrier
Ellis Ellis   14, tailor ap
Lewis Ellis   12
All born Llanllyfini, except Catherine.

Where is Ann in 1851? - I see the parents and brothers but not her.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 July 13 17:25 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the Penbryn Ffynon family at Llanllyfni. The stone mason comes from his work as a gravedigger which are fine examples of his craft; it's estimated that in the Llanllyfni area he carved over a thousand gravestone & his own gravestone documents that he buried  2556 people!!! There is an excellent biography of his life in Y Genedl Gymreig but another source is Welsh Bigraphy Online.

ELLIS , ROBERT  ( Llyfnwy ; 1805 - 1872 ), parish clerk (1829-72) and poet ;   [chr. at  Llanllyfni church  , 20 Oct. 1805 ] son of Ellis  and Ann Dafydd  , Penbryn Bach , Llanllyfni, Caerns. He m. Catherine Williams  of Llandwrog in 1830 and they had seven children. As a poet , he was known by the name Llyfnwy . In 1852 he published Lloffion Awen Llyfnwy , a collection of his verse, but disarmed criticism by admitting in his introduction that he did not aspire to the first rank as he never had a full term's education in his life. He wrote a great many carols , especially for the annual watch-night service at the parish church, and was one of the last to use the alliterative form for this type of verse. A selection of his carols was published after his death under the title Carolau Awen Llyfnwy . He could turn out an excellent englyn, and many of these are to be seen on the tombstones in Llanllyfni and the neighbourhood. His interests were not confined to poetry, for he was also a musician ; he conducted the instrumentalists in Llanllyfni church . He d. 14 April 1872 . 

Bibliography:
◾ W. R. Ambrose , Hynafiaethau, cofiannau, a hanes presennol Nant Nantlle y traethawd buddugol yn Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Pen-y-groes, Llun y Pasg, 1871 , 1872 , 1872 , 84-5;
◾Enwogion Sir Gaernarfon , 1922 , 65-6;
◾Y Llenor , ix, 47-55;
◾ T. Parry , Hanes Llenyddiaeth Gymraeg , 1944 , 1944 , 234;
◾[bishops' transcripts, N.L.W.].

Author:

Canon Gwynfryn Richards, M.A., Conway / Llandudno

Interesting the 2 Anne Ellis's in Lancashire.l I think I'll need some other titbits of information from other sources eg the Welsh newspapers.
Again many thanks
Alwyn

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 July 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
HI
ok back at home now.

The Robert Kempster who died in 1891 was a baby

Thomas Kempster husband of Anne died 18/03/1924 age  83 buried with the Ann age 60 who died in 1895

Newcastle Morning Herald 19 Mar 1924
Kempster Thomas funeral to move from the residence of his son-in-law Mr G A Hammerton, Hickson st Merewether. father and Father-in law of Mr and Mrs  R.J Kempster, Mr and Mrs  Thomas H. Kempster and Mr and Mrs G. A. Hammerton

Muss

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 July 13 06:30 BST (UK) »
HI
In Memoriam 18/03/1925 NMH
Kempster Thomas passed away in his 83rd year.  inserted by his daughter and Son-in-law and grandchildren Mildred and George.

I had the notices in my laundry ( took some time to find)

Muss

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 July 13 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Muss!

Offline ClDavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 24 January 16 05:52 GMT (UK) »
1903 NSW Electoral Roll:

KEMPSTER Thomas Wilton Street, Merewether - Coal Miner (Anne's husband)
KEMPSTER Thomas William Wilton Street, Merewether - Blacksmith (son)
KEMPSTER Eliza Jane Wilton Street, Merewether - Domestic Duties (dau-in-law)
HAMMERTON Elizabeth Gertrude Wilton Street, Merewether - Domestic Duties (daughter)
HAMMERTON George Addison Wilton Street, Merewether - Blacksmith (son-in-law)
KEMPSTER Robert James Railway Street, Merewether - Carpenter (son)
KEMPSTER Christiana Helen Railway Street, Merewether - Domestic Duties (dau-in-law)
Hi John.  I know this is a long time after the event but I just came across your post.  My family have lived in Wilton St for nigh on 100 years.  In Newcastle The Glebe was  situated within Merewether and was referred to as Glebeland in early documents.  Wilton St & Railway St are within The Glebe.  Kempsters were a prominent family in the area as noted.  When I was growing I was mates with John Ellis and his family still lived in Merewether West.  Appreciate this doesn't give stats but it provides background that may help.
SCOTLAND: Porter, Muir, Barr, Byron, Littlejohn
ENGLAND: Hodges, Fullick, Spinks,

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi CIDavid,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

I'm sure johnalwynjones will be delighted with any clues ... :)

A bit of background on Thomas KEMPSTER on his 82nd birthday says he was a native of Lancashire
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article163198890

There is a probate file for him I see from trove http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article137639551  It is in the gap years for the online indexes.   I can photograph this next time I am there if anyone wishes.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »
This thread caught my eye for the surname Kempster, although mine come from Buckinghamshire. I was following Thomas and James through the records, when I noticed James remarried as a widower in 1881, to another Betty, Betty Buckley, on 17th August.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Lagg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 23 April 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi alwyn and everyone else.
I have been looking for info on Ann Ellis for the last few years but only just stumbled on this site. Ironic. I have been researching from the other end as my hubby is a descendent of the middle child of Thomas and Anne Kempster - Thomas William. I have found most of the Australian side of this story, - coming into Queensland where Anne owned land and Thomas worked in the pOstal Service. Then they went to Lithgow ( Bowenfells) NSW ( lost letter) so the 2 boys births were registered at Hartley NSW. Then they moved in 1872 to Hill End NSW for the gold. He wasn't registered as having a lease so he must have worked for a big mine ( no records). Their daughter was born in 1872 ( Elizabeth Gertrude) but registered in Bathurst NSW 75km away. In 1875 they moved to Newcastle/ Glebeland/ Merewether where Thomas became Mayor. Lots of newspaper articles on Trove. The rest is as others have said - is history.
Alwyn I would be really interested in some of the English side of Ann Ellis as she doesn't appear much and died in 1895. Thanks Lily