Author Topic: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.  (Read 10437 times)

Offline ClDavid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. 

In 1949 Alma Joan Ellis & James Benjamin Ellis still lived in Wilton Street at No 9.
In 1949 George Addison Hammerton & Muriel (Lara?) Hammerton still lived in Wilton St at No 24.

Quote: "Kempster Thomas funeral to move from the residence of his son-in-law Mr G A Hammerton, Hickson st Merewether. father and Father-in law of Mr and Mrs  R.J Kempster, Mr and Mrs  Thomas H. Kempster and Mr and Mrs G. A. Hammerton" 
Hickson St formed the eastern boundary of The Glebe. It was later absorbed into Llewelyn St.  It intersected with Wilton St.  The current Hickson St in Merewether is not the street referred to in this funeral notice.

A bit more on the Glebe Kempsters.  Kempster Road is named after the Mayor of Merewether, Thomas Kempster.  I lived in a share house at 1 Kempster Road when I was at University. 

Happy happy

David P
SCOTLAND: Porter, Muir, Barr, Byron, Littlejohn
ENGLAND: Hodges, Fullick, Spinks,

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.
« Reply #46 on: Monday 12 February 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing a little on the Kempsters as well. I started with Thomas William Kempster, as me married my Great Grandmother's cousin Eliza Jane Cleaves, and whose father Thomas Kempster was also an interesting character with a similar story to my own relatives. He had his children in Lithgow/Hartley the same years my relatives had their children.

He lived in Hill End the same years that my same relatives lived there too. Mine then moved to to Merewether, to work as the Post Master. They were also both Freemasons and seems as if they all went to the same Methodist Church, as trove articles has the Kempster families mixing with the Cleaves families there.

Not much more too add. Hope I'd get a hold of Lagg, as her husband would be a relative of mine :)