Author Topic: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.  (Read 10438 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kempster, Glebeland Township, Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 July 13 02:27 BST (UK) »
Im beginning to wonder if Ann actually married Thomas Kempster.
I cant find a marriage  ::)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 July 13 02:45 BST (UK) »
Im beginning to wonder if Ann actually married Thomas Kempster.
I cant find a marriage  ::)

Yes, well, errr ..... there's flaws in the online index for NSW BDMs....  :-[  :-[  and of course, it was not until the 1880s that NSW BDM was actually in receipt of regular quarterly returns in respect of marriages from 1856 .... 

And even then, the summaries were not providing ALL the usual details found on NSW parish registers....

And, from the 1880s, there were issues for the Sydney based BDM clerks with the long hand script of the clerics on those summary returns ....

And the returns were sent by ordinary mail from the rural areas to Sydney HQ .... and the Reg General's office handled far more than just BDM quarterly returns ....

And it is always a wonder to me that ANY 19thC bdm event that occurred outside of metro Sydney actually ever managed to get itself indexed  :)   ..... 

I will pull thinking cap down harder, to think of what mis mash could occur to the surnames KEMPSTER and ELLIS when any transcriber in the 1930s may have misread for a marriage sometime in second half of 19thC in NSW....  :)  (Adding, 1930s was when the volunteers prepared an index that is the basis of the current online index).

Of course, NSW BDM birth certs (not the baptismal "V" records, but the civil ones post 1855), should include the parents origins, and date and place of marriage.   

So, an official transcription for the birth cert for Elizabeth Gertrude KEMPSTER in 1872, registered Bathurst district should give info as to when/where Thomas and Ann married, and names/ages of Elizabeth's older siblings  :).    BUT on other hand the Probate packet may well include various BDM certificates, and witness statements etc, as there's ten years between when Ann died and when Probate was granted... so likely some issues were sorted out before the estate was presented to the NSW Supreme Court.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 July 13 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that JM  :) You explain things well, where its easy to understand [for the likes of me  ;D]

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 July 13 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Death and funeral notices will be in the Newcastle Morning Herald ( not on the net) contact Newcastle Library.
Just started to snow here ( very nice)

Muss

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 July 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
[Just started to snow here ( very nice)

Hi Muss where is "here" I am in Sydney. lovely sunny day , however the breeze is a bit cool

Cass

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 July 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Threadbo  ( with the family having a short break}

Muss

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 July 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, excellent information, particularly the date of arrival. I'll scour the Caernarfonshire newspapers as deaths of locals abroad were usually reported, there might be a short note as her father was so well respected. Strange that her mother was not mentioned (Catherine William) and the lack of a marriage as they were a devoutly religious  Anglican family. But then equally odd that she should emigrate alone. One brother went to the USA but all 7 of the others stayed in Wales.
Many thanks
Alwyn

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 July 13 07:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Muss, excellent info as before.
Alwyn

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 July 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Marriage:

Thomas KEMPSTER single, 21yrs m. Ann ELLIS single, 28yrs - 07 Feb 1863 St Mary, Bury, Lancashire.
Groom's father: James
Bride's father: Robert

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/marriages.php
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/search