Author Topic: cause of death on certificate  (Read 1079 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
cause of death on certificate
« on: Saturday 20 July 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Just a quick note wondering if anyone can help with a query I have on a death certificate.
A 25 year old man living in shropshire countryside in 1912 ( occupation - coal loader but had previously worked on a farm) ...
Cause of Death as written on certificate - 'Diffuse (Streptococcus) Cellutis of face and neck 4 days. Toxamia and cardiac failure'....

This seems a strange cause of death....was there an outbreak of something in 1912 ??....this single man even wrote a will !
Any help much appreciated

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cause of death on certificate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Remember this was in 1912, well before the discovery of antibiotics.

If he had diffuse streptococcal cellulitis on his face and neck for 4 days (may have been some kind of multiple boils, or maybe he was bitten by some infected animal?) it has caused toxaemia which is a covering name for general poison in the blood (whatever the cause) and this has killed him.

The shock to his system of the toxaemia may have caused the cardiac failure.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 July 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
Remember this was in 1912, well before the discovery of antibiotics.

If he had diffuse streptococcal cellulitis on his face and neck for 4 days (may have been some kind of multiple boils, or maybe he was bitten by some infected animal?) it has caused toxaemia which is a covering name for general poison in the blood (whatever the cause) and this has killed him.

The shock to his system of the toxaemia may have caused the cardiac failure.

Dawn M
many thanks Dawn....Oh my goodness, how history repeats itself. I was in hospital last xmas with an abcess ( possibly a bite ?) had emergency surgery, blood poisoning, ended up on 32 antibiotics daily..thankfully medicine as moved on...this poor man, god bless him...

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 July 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
 My O.H had cellulitis, caused by fluid collecting in his lower legs through his poor heart function.
I felt quite ashamed thinking we had not been as careful as necessary but the Dr. said it was due to the poor oxygen levels which cause bacteria to form and multiply. Nothing to do with hygiene which was a relief as I had looked after him and been very careful when washing his legs which were so swollen . His skin is very friable and breaks down very easily.He`s on so many drugs well you know --- medicines.
 Toxaemia can cause heart failure, the previous poster was correct Viktoria..