Author Topic: Owner of the Star, War and Victory medals >>>COMPLETE<<<  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Owner of the Star, War and Victory medals >>>COMPLETE<<<
« on: Sunday 12 June 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all of you who helped me with the medals yesterday. The 1914-15 Star and the Victory Medal. They belonged to my grandfathers brother who was killed on 23/4/1917 and is buried at the Arras memorial.He was a Private in the 9th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

I also have his other medal the British War Medal, it must have been awarded posthumously, as it says 1914-1918 on it. This one is silver although I understand they also come in bronze.

For those who are interested I attach a photo of the recipient.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Owner of the Star, War and Victory medals
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 04:58 BST (UK) »
hiya jane,the three medals you have are for his war service,the star means he was under fire before dec 31st 1915,the other two are for war service,they are awarded whether a man is killed or not,your g/fathers not buried at arras jane,hes still missing,the arras memorial is for men who have no known grave,manmack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 05:03 BST (UK) »
jane,i have your gt uncles name in the roll of honour that i have,it says he was a long eaton lad,manmack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 07:05 BST (UK) »
Manmack

Its strange that you have said he is still missing. It confirms something Mum has always said. Because it says bay 2-3 I thought he must have a headstone but I suppose they can put them up for those that are missing.

My Mum always used to say that Leslie was missing in the war and she always wondered if he was in France and just didn't know who he was or she may have walked past him in England and not recognised him.  I know this was wishful thinking that he hadn't died. (I do realise the gory side of what still missing could mean).

How do I find the roll of honour? I have the casualty details from the CWGC but that says date of death and the cemetery details for Arras but unless I am reading it wrong it just keeps talking about burials and mainly of other nationalites and other British regiments.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 08:05 BST (UK) »
hiya jane,the roll of honour says that he died,which means he died of sickness or disease,he would have had a proper burial but his grave has been lost in the heavy fighting,artillery fire destroyed a lot of graves,the panel are where his name is inscribed on the memorial,manmack

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
I had always assumed he had been killed in the fighting or died of his wounds. I didn't realise they distinguished between died and killed. It just shows how much I need to learn about this subject.

Thanks

Jane

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 19:50 BST (UK) »
jane,he still did his fair share of fighting,it doesnt matter how he died,he still paid the same price as all the rest,poor devil,one word of comfort,at least the germans didnt get him,mack,ps i will see if i can find out where he died

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 05 00:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry to jump onto your post Jane.

Mack, how is it possible to find out where he died, does it not say on the cwgc site.

Just my grandads brother william wood is listed on the site as at krakow cemetary, that says died , thought he was buried there, is he probably not?His headstone says died in germany while prisoner of war.

Kev.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
jane,he was reported wounded and missing on 23 april 1917,he was in C.company 9th battalion,his family made enquiries to the red cross in aug 1917.so it looks like he was picked up by the germans and died the same day,they would just bury him and that would be it,there may be a record of him at the red cross,i wouldnt bother though,they charge about 15 quid an hour and tell you it will take them at least 3 hrs to find his details,mack