Author Topic: Service history help needed please!  (Read 595 times)

Offline Tallulahblossom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Service history help needed please!
« on: Sunday 21 July 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
Is it possible for a soldier to have been in the 57th Foot Regiment in Dublin in 1850 & then gone on to be in the 94th Clare Militia in Newport, Wales in 1856?

I'm trying to trace my Great Great Great Grandad Robert Williams roots & it looks likely that he was a Bandsman in the 94th Clare Militia in Newport in 1856. I have found a Robert Williams who was a Bugler with the Royal Engineers Depot (Cos.35-38), service no 5789 in Chatham in 1861 but don't know whether this one ties in with either or neither of the ones in Wales or Dublin.

There is a birth record for an Elizabeth Williams in Dublin in 1850, daughter of Robert Williams of the 57th Foot Regiment. Elizabeth Williams was my Great Great Grandmother.  Any help/advice would be most appreciated  :)

Many thanks!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Andrena Palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Service history help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your previous reply re our great grandfather Robert Williams. I have spent hours on both him and Mary Anne Spencer and continue to meet a brick wall. I did acquire Elizabethís marriage certificate to Andrew Jones in 1878, but that didnít provide me with any further information, unfortunately. I will let you know if I uncover anything at all
Kind regards
Andrena

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.