Author Topic: Service history help needed please!  (Read 894 times)

Offline Tallulahblossom

• This user is not receiving notifications.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Service history help needed please!
« on: Sunday 21 July 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
Is it possible for a soldier to have been in the 57th Foot Regiment in Dublin in 1850 & then gone on to be in the 94th Clare Militia in Newport, Wales in 1856?

I'm trying to trace my Great Great Great Grandad Robert Williams roots & it looks likely that he was a Bandsman in the 94th Clare Militia in Newport in 1856. I have found a Robert Williams who was a Bugler with the Royal Engineers Depot (Cos.35-38), service no 5789 in Chatham in 1861 but don't know whether this one ties in with either or neither of the ones in Wales or Dublin.

There is a birth record for an Elizabeth Williams in Dublin in 1850, daughter of Robert Williams of the 57th Foot Regiment. Elizabeth Williams was my Great Great Grandmother.  Any help/advice would be most appreciated  :)

Many thanks!

Offline Andrena Palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Service history help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your previous reply re our great grandfather Robert Williams. I have spent hours on both him and Mary Anne Spencer and continue to meet a brick wall. I did acquire Elizabeth’s marriage certificate to Andrew Jones in 1878, but that didn’t provide me with any further information, unfortunately. I will let you know if I uncover anything at all
Kind regards
Andrena