Author Topic: Duncan McGilvray b. Isle of Mull, Argyllshire  (Read 10995 times)

Offline Highlandress

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan McGilvray b. Isle of Mull, Argyllshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Anne,

Now I can sit down and map out the clan!

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 October 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Just posted a new question about the death of Christina McCallum, Abt 1816-1903 before I read your post, we have the same family of McGilvrays and you can see my public tree on Ancestry (Dunmac96, McDonald family tree (Dad.) ) for more information. I just looked on New Zealand Indexes for Duncan's death yesterday and found one 1935 age 85 years, is this correct. Would love to hear more about Duncan's family line in New Zealand.
                                                                               Regards,
                                                                                       Duncan.

P.S. Two others on Ancestry also connected to this family in Burg, Mull, Argyleshire, Scotland.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline John Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 October 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
This is the first time I have used Rootschat. If you check on my family tree on Ancestry.com you will locate the family your looking for, my great grandfather being Alexander McGilvray born 1856 that married Georgina Sinclair Lindsay.
I have also added the photograph of Duncan McGilvray on my family tree which was taken from a book entitled "Tea with Chrissie"' its contents details the McGilvray family and the life of Chrissie and Duncan McGilvray at Burg Mull. The photograph of your Duncan was taken on a visit he made back to Mull from New Zealand.
I was born in Scotland but live in Canberra Australia
Regards
John Murdoch Loney Ross

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 October 13 04:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you John, enjoy RootsChat, it can be a great help in breaking down brick walls sometimes.
                                                                                                      Regards,
                                                                                                            Duncan.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline manofmull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
Further to all of the above and per JMStrachan, Duncan appears in the 1861 Census in the next village of Tapul (Tavool).
I believe that this is the correct Duncan, simply because it has to be.

1861 Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon    District  1   Page 4   Tapul House
McPhail    Ann    25     Head     Farmer of 3000 acres    Argyllshire Torosay    
McPhail    Mary    17     Sister     Housekeeper    Argyllshire Torosay    
McGillivary    John    39     Servant     Shepherd    Argyllshire Kilfinichen    
McPherson    Donald    19     Servant     Shepherd    Argyllshire Kilmore    
McLauchlin    Lachlan    19     Servant     Ploughman    Argyllshire Movern    
McLaine    Margaret     23     Servant     Domestic Servant    Argyllshire Kilfinichen    
McGillivary    Duncan    9     Servant     Cowherd    Argyllshire Torosay ****

Burg was part of Torosay parish before it was included within Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon.

Although his age is 9, this probably means in his ninth year, so actually 8. This fits very well with brother Malcolm 1851, Duncan 1853 and Alexander 1856.

I have Duncan's parents, grandparents and G-grandparents details on site.

Michael (webmaster)
http://mullfamilies.co.uk/

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
There's a Gaelic song "Duncan MacGillivray", played by a piper of that name when in the Battlefield Band, get it online. Burg in "The Wilderness" on Mull was still occupied about 30 years ago, very remote.

Skoosh.

Offline manofmull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, Burg was occupied by Chrissie McGilvray, niece of said Duncan. She didn't get electricity at her home until the late 1980s, shortly before her death.  I have pics of Chrissie and one of her father Malcolm (with cows) on site

Michael (webmaster)
http://mullfamilies.co.uk/

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
Michael, good to see you still keep an eye out on these connected posts   :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Michael,  I've met Chrissie, a hardy wummin,  :) we were staying in the big cave with the two entrances, the goats tried to come in in the middle of the night as it was raining.

Skoosh.