Author Topic: Re: Help with Ayres/Pike/Stanley History  (Read 12807 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy, Traveller, Circus, Fairground Folks - George Ayres and Minnie Smith
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi wish I could - only details are that George/William Ayres married Minnie Smith born in Aspley Guise - they may have married in Northants area and then moved to Yorkshire - I believe Minnie may have been a shirt maker ?? and her parents were Charles and Elizabeth Smith - sorry do not have any more information - curious

So how do you know George's father was a George, see CaroleW reply on page 1?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
only details are that George/William Ayres married Minnie Smith born in Aspley Guise

Have you looked for their marriage on freebmd?  www.freebmd.org.uk

Unless it can be confirmed from a marriage cert that "George/William's" father is George - all the info posted so far may be incorrect. 

As you can see from the 1871 entry - there is a William aged 1 but no George shown as a son.

From the 1901 details posted - Minnie is married to a William - not a George

I would suggest you search freebmd for a Minnie Smith marriage to a George/William Ayres/Ayers and obtain a copy of the marriage cert before researching further
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 January 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »
May not be the correct Ayres/Smith family but Tony DIXON's new book "But for Further Evidence - a continuing history of William AYRES, Gypsy 1806-1872" may be useful reading as the introduction says that it "attempts to document William's father, also William, and his extended family and further connections with, notably, the SMITH and HEARN travelling families of the South Midlands".

The book also contains a black and white photo-journal of the building of a beautiful bow top living waggon.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline pilley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 March 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
hello, are you still interested in william ayres and minnie smith, they were my great grand parents and i managed to get some photos of them from my uncle . william moved from northamptonshire to yorkshire as you know , he worked as a forman in the coaking ovens at pilley pit near barnsley , thats the village i grew up in . i moved to nothamptonshire around 1974 and it was only about 15 years ago that I found out my roots came from this county it was as if I had come full circle and i am also interested in finding the roots of ann collins williams mother she was born in liverpool in 1835

Offline C4C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Help with Ayres/Pike/Stanley History
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:30 BST (UK) »
i am ayres by marriage and my husbands family were from hazeley heath nr eversley my husbands  greatgrandad had a brother henry ayres who married a millicent pike,henrys mother and father were henry and martha ayres nee peters,the tree for the ayres family just goes on and on,but i will check for george

Offline Lone Wolf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Help with Ayres/Pike/Stanley History
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
i am ayres by marriage and my husbands family were from hazeley heath nr eversley my husbands  greatgrandad had a brother henry ayres who married a millicent pike,henrys mother and father were henry and martha ayres nee peters,the tree for the ayres family just goes on and on,but i will check for george
Only just seen this, Henry and Martha were my Great Grandparents my Grandfather was Nipton.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ayres/Pike/Stanley History
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat lone wolf, C4C was online only yesterday, hopefully they will reply to your post very soon.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jojotou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 March 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

My 4th Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Ayres (Eyres, Hares) born about 1790 possibly in Birmingham (as listed by her husband Joseph Porter on her burial) but we have no other information - nothing can be found anywhere.  My Aunt who had originally done the family tree but has since passed away had both Irish and Gypsy written next to her name with question marks.  She had been in contact with other relatives in the UK.  So that is all I have to go on.  Their children (Porters) were named Joseph, William Eyre, Mary, Hannah, Thomas, Sarah Bertha, Ann, Henry and Eliza. 

I also have a rogue Lucy Smith born abt 1790 who married Samuel Poultney in Leek, Staffordshire.  She doesn't appear to fit in any of the other local Smith families.

Offline Cassie56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 March 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I am also related to Ayres/Stanley/Pike/Gregory/James/ Rose families,
James Ayres m Barbara Stanley, son George Ayres m Rosanna Pike, son Cornelius Ayres m Kezia James, son Neptune m Athaliah Gregory, son Naylor m Urania Gregory, son Naylor m May/ Rosie/Rosanna Rose, daughter Lilian m Anthony Coules, who had 7  children in flushing me.. Caroline Coules  ( now known as Cassie H ayes).