Author Topic: Peter Gowan Lamb Help Please  (Read 3487 times)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Gowan Lamb Help Please
« on: Tuesday 23 July 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, trying to find the parents of Peter Lamb,known to us as Peter Gowan Lamb.I had a lookup post on the Portsmouth Rootschat site and was given some information. They had him as born Peter Lamb,Forfar Angus, illigitimate son of Elizabeth (Betsy) Lamb,  looking like paternity was father Peter Gowan. He was married to Elizabeth Mary lamb and had a son Maurice Frederick Lamb,born Portsmouth. I have the marriage information from a marriage cert of Maurice Frederick Lamb. I was hoping for a little more information on Peter Gowan Lambs parents and verification of his birth place if possible, any help very much appreciated.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,654708.10.html

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Gowan Lamb Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 10:25 BST (UK) »
Peter was born as plain Peter Lamb 18/2/1862 Forfar, Angus.   He was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Lamb, Linen Weaver.    There is a note and reference on left hand side of birth certificate which seems to relate to a paternity case 21/8/1864.

I only have access to transcript of the Scottish census but in 1871 - still in Forfar - Peter is living with his mother Betsy Lamb 37 but he is shown as Peter Gowan (or Gowans) aged 9.

By 1881 Peter is in the Navy in Portsmouth.

I'm guessing the surname of his natural father was Gowan but the reference to paternity above may give more details although I don't know how you access it.    Scotlands People should be able to advise.

Annette

Peter's birth cert. should link to a RCE(Register of Corrected Entries) which will give details of paternity as Annette has already noted.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&402
(Scroll down page for details of RCE's and how to access.)
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&1314

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 03:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys for the help. will get in contact with the person who has the marriage cert and see if it states the maiden name of Maurices mother and will let you know, thank you.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 15 01:26 BST (UK) »
Peter was born as plain Peter Lamb 18/2/1862 Forfar, Angus.   He was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Lamb, Linen Weaver.    There is a note and reference on left hand side of birth certificate which seems to relate to a paternity case 21/8/1864.

I only have access to transcript of the Scottish census but in 1871 - still in Forfar - Peter is living with his mother Betsy Lamb 37 but he is shown as Peter Gowan (or Gowans) age

Hi, i have been given a bit more information from a family member whos GGG grandmother was the sister of the above Elizabeth Lamb.The father of Peter Lamb apparantly is William Gowans, who appears on the 1871 Census Forfarshire Angus. The parents of Elizabeth (Betsy) Lamb are given as Robert Lamb and Ann Chritchen. I don't know if there is any further information to be found on them.thanks.