Author Topic: Andrew wylie  (Read 15071 times)

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Andrew wylie
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi need to see if Alexander and Janet(t) Clark(e) Wylie were the parents of Andrew Wylie, b. 8/30/1801-4 ?
 Andrew married Agnes Pollock b.7/15/1800,  christened in Stewarton Ayr. 7/21/were her parents James and Agnes Gilmour, Pollock?

Andrew and Agnes Pollock, Wylie married in Stewarton Church of Scotland . 21/Feb/1826 He was a farm servant from Dunlop.

First child was Alexander b.8.Oct/1826 born Stewarton Ayr.
2nd child Agnes19/Jun/1829.

there should be 3-4 more kids I can't find.

Andrew and Agnes immigrated to Albion Mines now Stellarton Nova Scotia, Canada

They had one more son born there William.

I would love to find the immigration date?
I have sibling's that I think is Agnes Pollock and of Andrew Wylie but not real sure same family.
I have been to Andrew and Agnes headstone in Nova Scotia the reading says born Neilson Parish Scotland. They have a Grace named as daughter single age 20. I wondered why I can't find her birth in Scotland. I think they had 3 sons Alex the only for sure and 2 girls Agnes and could it be Grace? I have Andrews death 1875

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew wylie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage for an Andrew Pollock Wylie born 1871 in Stellarton: -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2G5-37Q
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
If it's any help, I have a coal mining ancestor from Ayrshire who migrated to Pictou, Nova Scotia in about 1832, but returned to Ayrshire a few years later. From the reading about it I've done, the late 1820s to early 1830s would be the most likely timing for your ancestor's migration, as there seems to have been a recruitment drive around then for coal miners.

Your Andrew Wylie does seem to be the one born 30 August 1804 at Neilston, Refrewshire to Alexander Wylie and Janet Clark. As Andrew named his eldest son Alexander then it is highly likely, as that would be the case if they'd followed the Scottish naming pattern.

There was coal mining at Neilston. Coal miners often moved around from mine to mine, so a move to Ayrshire some time after the birth of Andrew would fit with being a coal mining family.

From the records on FamilySearch it would seem Alexander Wylie and Janet Clark had a large family. Could be worthwhile tracking their children to see if any others migrated to Nova Scotia.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
I would say to you are on the right track.

From Familysearch we have to ALEXANDER and JANET nee Clark Born/Christened Neilston, Renfrew:
ALEXANDER 1795
GRIZEL 1797
GRIZEL 1800
JEAN 1802
ANDREW 1804
HUGH 1806
ELIZABETH 1809
JOHN 1812
JOHN 1814
DAVID 1816
(F/S)

Possible the same Children + others;
Marriages Church of Scotland Parish Church, Dunlop, Ayrshire
GRIZEL Wylie/ Robert KERR, 05 Feb 1822
ALEXR Wylie/Margt ROSS, 23 April 1822
ADAM Wylie/Jean GILMOUR, 29 March 1825
HUGH Wyllie/Margaret BROWN, 30 April 1827 ***
DAVID Wyllie/Jean FAULDS, 05 April 1831
MARTHA Wyllie/Andw PEACOCK, 29 March 1831

Source of Marriages FreeREG www.freereg.org.uk
In total 26 Marriages 1820's to 1850's on there are 62 Baptisms.
(Use soundex as some Wyllie, others Wylie)

*** HUGH/MARGARET Baptise a Child Janet Clark Wyllie in 1843 and a Alexander in 1838
Alexr/Margt name Children Grizzel in 1826/Janet 1825/Alexr 1830

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
You probably have this?

1841 Census
Shilford,
Neilson, Renfrewshire
Alexander WYLIE, 65, Coal M, born Renfrewshire
Janet Wylie, 60, born Scotland
Robert Wylie, 15, Ag Lab, born Renfrewshire
John HAMILTON, 15, born Renfrewshire

ROBERT Wylie Chr 09 March 1823, Neilston, Renfrew (Birth 25 Feb 1823)
Parents Alexander WYLIE and Jean CLARKE
(F/S.Org)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
I posted Aexander/Grizel as Children of Alexander/Janet but cant find them anymore on F/S?.

Looks like its ok though;'
1841 Census,
Dunlop, Ayrshire
Robert Kerr, 40
Grisel Kerr,   40, born Scotland
Hugh Wylie, 3
Grace Wylie,14
John King,    15
William Kennedy, 20

1861 Grizel is born c 1801 Neilston. A Janet Wylie age 16 is with them.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
The only births showing in Scotland, to parents named Andrew Wylie or Wyllie, and agnes Pollock, in that timeframe are as follows

Alexander Wylie, born 8/Oct/1826. Stewarton, Ayrshire,
Agnes Wylie, born 30/June/1829. Neilston, Renfrewshire,
Janet Wyllie, born 26/June/1831. Kilmarnock, Ayrshire,
Mary Wyllie, born 27/Oct/1837. Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

Not all births in Scotland, prior to 1855. were registered or were indeed required to be registered, many births that were registered did not survive the course of time.

The three places you mention in your post ie Neilston, Dunlop, and Stewarton, are close to each other,

The marriage of Andrew Wylie, and Agnes Pollock, was noted in both Dunlop, and Stewarton, on the same date 21/Feb/1826. meaning that Andrew, and Agnes, were resident in those places at that time not neccesary born there, ie Andrew, perhaps Dunlop, and Agnes, perhaps Stewarton.

If you look at the order of the four births above ie first born etc, then those first three would fit the Scottish naming system for the period, ie Alexander, first born named after Andrew's, father from Neilston, second born Agnes, named after Agnes's, mother Agnes Gilmour, and third born Janet, named after Andrew's, mother Janet Clark.

Another possible clue Agnes Wylie, born 1829, was born in Neilston, just possible Andrew, and Agnes Pollock, were visiting Andrew's, parents at the time of birth.

There may also be other births to Andrew, and Agnes, that did not survive the test of time.

The above family do not appear on the 1841 census for Scotland, so a likely departure date would be sometime between 1837, and early 1841.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 July 13 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick reply. It was a surprise to see girls but I have info that matches Andrew son of Alexander and Agnes right dates. I thought there might be a couple more boy's and as you say there could be just not found at this point. Alexander and Janet I wonder did they immigrate as well? He was a miner as was son Andrew and Andrew's son William. I also think you are right about immigration around that time as William was born 1843-44. Also in Andrew's obituary it said yet another son Andrew that ended up in Pennsylvania USA. I can't find him. I'm looking for a cousin his dad died when he was only a couple month's old. His mom is very sick and she's happy I started him on his family tree of Wylie's. I'm so glad you helped . thank you,Barbara

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 July 13 06:49 BST (UK) »
I posted Aexander/Grizel as Children of Alexander/Janet but cant find them anymore on F/S?.

Looks like its ok though;'
1841 Census,
Dunlop, Ayrshire
Robert Kerr, 40
Grisel Kerr,   40, born Scotland
Hugh Wylie, 3
Grace Wylie,14
John King,    15
William Kennedy, 20

1861 Grizel is born c 1801 Neilston. A Janet Wylie age 16 is with them.

Hi no I didn't have this piece. It was interesting that Alexander was a miner as well as his son Andrew and Andrew's son William. I remember dad's brother terrified to go into the pit's there were many lost their lives. It was wonderful when they started strip mining. thanks it does look like Alexander and Janet. I believe Hugh was a brother to Andrew as I have a Hugh married to ha ha will dig for it again tomorrow it's hiding :)
Oh I wonder if this Robert could be another son? the ROBERT Wylie Chr 09 March 1823, Neilston, Renfrew (Birth 25 Feb 1823)
Parents Alexander WYLIE and Jean CLARKE
What is (F/S) ?