Author Topic: WHITEHEAD - Essex & Yorkshire - Any Known Connection?  (Read 3525 times)

Offline PK-KTK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHITEHEAD - Essex & Yorkshire - Any Known Connection?
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
On my Paternal line, I have WHITEHEAD's that come from the Finchingfield area of Essex and I've managed to trace them back to about 1775.
The earliest 2 gens I have in this line are
John WHITEHEAD (c1775 - ?) who in 1794 married Ann CLAYDEN (? - ?)
--- John (1795-1866) & George (1800 - ?)
John WHITEHEAD (1775-1866) married in 1819 Susannah GLASCOCK (1798-1853)
--- William, John, Maria, Samuel, Ann, George, Eliza, Charles, Alfred, Emma (births between 1818 & 1838)

On my Maternal line though, I have WHITEHEAD's from the Arkengarthdale area of Yorkshire, but I'm only back to the early 1800's there.
The earliest 2 gens of that line I have are
Matthias WHITEHEAD (listed as age 35 in 1841, not present in 1851) who in 1825 married Catherine WILKINSON (c1806 - c1868)
---John, Ann, Obediah*, William, Catherine, Edward, Deborah, Matthias (children born between 1826 and 1840)
Obediah* WHITEHEAD (c1831-1890) who in 1851 married Mary RAISBECK (c1832-1922)
--- Catherine, Robert, Elizabeth, Mary Jane, Margaret, Matthias, Jonathan, John (children born between 1851 & 1866)

Is anyone familiar with these two WHITEHEAD lineages and know if they join up back up the tree somewhere, or of I'm missing children (which I probably am)
for example, is Matthias of Arkengarthdale the son of John & Ann of Essex?

Thanks
Surnames: Argent, Baldock, Barnes, Bowles, Carter, Clemons (+var), Crisp, Dawson, Devereaux, Ferrier (+var), Fox, Glascock, Glew, Hardman, Hins ?, Holden, Holes, Holiday, Leach, Leiper, Mabley, Macdonald / Mcdonald, Marshall, Naylor, Paine, Reid, Sandford / Sanford, Siddle (+var) / Liddell, Stagg, Tongue, Vickers, Warner, Webb, Whitehead, Wilcox, Wood.
Locations: England to 1940's, Eastern Australia from 1820's, New Zealand 1870-1910, Scotland to 1880's

Offline Peter Storr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WHITEHEAD - Essex & Yorkshire - Any Known Connection?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 January 18 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Responding to old messages re: Whiteheads from Arkengarthdale. My mother, Winifred is from one of the lines that you mentioned and I have her family back to John 1688 from ? and his  5 children all born Wawne, Yorks. Families known to branch out to Arkengarthdale, Northumberland, Durham (West Hartlepool)

I would like to exchange trees if you are interested.

Peter Storr >West Hamilton>Canada

Offline KarenW0403

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: WHITEHEAD - Essex & Yorkshire - Any Known Connection?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 19 16:31 BST (UK) »
Matthias Whitehead 1806 (married Catherine Wilkinson) is a descendant of my dads. His son Obediah (married Mary Jane Raisbeck) had Jonathan who married Martha Woodward had John who married Ester Swainston then had my grandad John George who sadly died in 1990.
I'm looking for Matthias' parents/grandparents.
If you look on http://dalesgenealogy.com/census/ark_41.html
You can search the census'