Author Topic: STEWART/ROBERTSON  (Read 18521 times)

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
STEWART/ROBERTSON
« on: Saturday 27 July 13 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Any assistance in the following would be appreciated: 
I am looking for information about ANNE STEWART ROBERTSON born 6 March 1827 Blairgowrie Perthshire.  Her residence at birth was Milltown of Drumlochie.  Her father was a labourer working on a farm at Milltown at the time.  Her parents were DONALD (DANIEL) ROBERTSON born 1786 Blair Atholl Perthshire and REBECCA BUTTARS born 1788 Blairgowrie Perthshire Kirkmichael. Rebecca or also listed as Rebekah died in 1835 in Blairgowie Perthshire and this may have prompted Donald to emigrate with the family.  Donald was listed as a stonemason on ships records to Australia. The family emigrated to Australia in 1838 when Anne was 11. Anne married in Australia a JAMES MCDONALD who was born in 1825 in Edinburgh but who emigrated to Australia himself in 1849 but lived in Dumfrieshire in 1849 before emigrating. ANNE may have gone under ANNE STEWART or ANNE ROBERTSON. On the ship to Australia the surname was listed ROBINSON and ROBERTSON?  The family who emigrated were of 10 sons and 3 daughters.
I am travelling to Scotland in 3 weeks time and would like to find graves, family connections, anything really.  One son's middle name was McLeod Robertson so there may be a connection to the McLeods.
Any help would be appreciated. I may be lucky and find relies..would love to think so.
Cheers
Mothermacree
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)
Ireland: Dawson, Cook, O'Brien, Murphy (Mums side)
Finland: Johnson/Johansson, Worstein (Dad)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART/ROBERTSON
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 July 13 12:24 BST (UK) »
Rebekah Buttar marriage 6 March 1807 Lethendy and Kinloch, Perth spouse Donald Robertson

Children listed on familysearch

Alexander birth 13 Aug 1807 Blairgowrie
Angus ch 3 Dec 1809 Blairgowrie
James Birth Date: 19 Jul 1813 Blairgowrie
John ch  07 May 1815 Blairgowrie
Susanna birth 30 March 1822 ch   07 Apr 1822 BLAIRGOWRIE,PERTH,SCOTLAND
Peter Birth 01 Sep 1829
Anne ch 18 March 1827 Blairgowrie
Duncan ch 4 Nov 1832 Blairgowrie

so we are missing 4 sons and a daughter from that source unless there are different spellings involved.

Can you post the missing children here with dates and if you have them the names of Rebekah and Donald's parents.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 July 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Rebekah Buttars born Feb 1788.
Other children are:
Catharine b 1811 d 1898
Donald or Daniel born 1816 d 1894
David b 1818 d 1884
Upon checking, my error, only 10 sons 3 daughters.
Rebekah's parents not confirmed
Donald's parents are: ALEXANDER DUNCAN ROBERTSON and KATHARINE (Catherine) CAMPBELL
Blairgowrie Church entry indicates Rebekah died Nov 1838. She married Donald on 6 Mar 1807.
James' middle name was McLeod, maybe his mother Rebekah was a Buttars and McLeod??
Any assistance appreciated, any ideas where they might be buried?
Cheers from Australia
Mothermacree
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 July 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
Any assistance appreciated, any ideas where they might be buried?

I'd guess either Lethendy (marriage parish) or Blairgowrie but as you have a year to check why not contact the "horses mouth"?  ;D  http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/2850/Burial-Grounds-and-Registers

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 July 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
We still have a missing boy this is only 12 children and all 3 girls are there.

Alexander birth 13 Aug 1807 Blairgowrie [named after Donald's father]
Angus ch 3 Dec 1809 Blairgowrie [if this is the second son then this may also be Rebekah's father's name]
Catharine b 1811
James Birth Date: 19 Jul 1813 Blairgowrie
John ch  07 May 1815 Blairgowrie
Donald or Daniel born 1816 [Donald and Daniel are interchangeable names in this time period]
David b 1818
Susanna birth 30 March 1822 ch   07 Apr 1822 BLAIRGOWRIE,PERTH,SCOTLAND
Anne ch 18 March 1827 Blairgowrie
Peter Birth 01 Sep 1829 Blairgowrie
Duncan ch 4 Nov 1832 Blairgowrie

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 July 13 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Fifer1947

Thanks for your assistance. I will check the connection for burials. I will be in Scotland in 2 WEEKS so all this information will be of assistance to me. We had considered a trip next year but my husband decided now was a better time so we are extremely excited about our impending visit.
I have checked my online tree...the other child is Robert b 30 Sept 1821 Blairgowrie.
Thanks for your help. 
Cheers
Mothermacree

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 July 13 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Fifer1947
Further to my last post, I should mention I have the Death Certificate for Donald the father
who died in Australia. On it, it states he was a farmer/shepherd and his father was Duncan Robertson and mother Catherine Campbell.  As Stewart is used in Anne's name I am assuming this could be her mother Catherine's mother's surname.  I have found in researching that the female used the mother's surname at times in at least one of the children's names so the link remained in that way. Only an assumption.  I will have to investigate that further, perhaps at a later time now. Of course, it could have been Duncan's mother's surname also?
Cheers

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 July 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
This looks like the marriage of Donald's parents, maybe not in exactly the same area but shepherds went where the work was, is this the marriage you have?  This is near Glen Lyon (above the river Lyon) above Loch Tay near Kenmore.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vir/

Name:    Alexander Robertson
Spouse's Name:    Katharine Campbell
Event Date:    03 Dec 1776
Event Place:    Fortingall,Perth,Scotland

This could be Donald's ch not all children (particularly if residence was distant from church) were christened soon after birth, some were several years old and "done" in batches  ;D
Name:    Donald Robertson
Christening Date:    21 Feb 1790
Christening Place:    FORTINGALL,PERTH,SCOTLAND
Father's Name:    Alexander Robertson
Mother's Name:    Catharine Campbell

From experience I would advise looking at the films of the parish records, time consuming but sometimes very worthwhile spending a day doing just that.

Re Rebekah: there are Butter's registered in Lethendy BUT where money was short girls often weren't christened or the parish clerk was absent minded forgot to record them or indeed just because Scots were misogynists!  ;D  I have a family link where I thought they hadn't had any daughters until by sheer chance I found one daughter listed on her brother's family stone and her name was the same as her mother.  However there was absolutely no trace in the parish records, so I presume 2 earlier daughters named for the paternal and maternal grandmothers likewise hadn't been christened.

In Rebekah's case there is perhaps a wee clue from her childrens names ....... there is a Susanna Butter chr Fortingall 1793?

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Donald was born June 1786 and baptised July 1786 Blair Atholl.  He married Rebekah Butter (on her marriage entry) on 6 Mar 1807 Lethendy and Kinloch Perthshire. His father was Alexander Duncan Robertson.

Cheers