Author Topic: Lookup request - Francis Grant, b. abt. 1780, Sutherland County.  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Treehouse333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request - Francis Grant, b. abt. 1780, Sutherland County.
« on: Sunday 28 July 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I can't find this person's parents. I know Francis Grant (male) was born in Sutherland County abt. 1780, married Helen Murray, had 9 children, and died in Backies, Golspie, abt. 1843. I believe he was buried in St. Andrew's Churchyard, but there is no marker; I've checked. Any clues as to his parentage would be most appreciated!

Many thanks.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - Francis Grant, b. abt. 1780, Sutherland County.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 July 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
There is no Francis Grant listed on Scotlandspeople as born in Sutherland between 1760 and 1790 - even "F Grant" draws a blank.

The closest match I can find was born in Banffshire in 1778, in Botriphnie between Dufftown and Keith, but that's a long way from Golspie and far inland, so unlikely to be the man you seek.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 July 13 16:07 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 Census he's listed as aged 56, which puts his birth round about 1785, although the usual caveats about accepting given ages in early census records still apoply.

That's two "SP" searches you owe me  :)

Offline Treehouse333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 July 13 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for searching! I'll try to search based on that different birth date, but I really doubt doubt I can trace his parentage, which is what I was seeking.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 July 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
TH,  have a look at the National Archives,   http://nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/     Francis is not a common Grant name.

Skoosh.

Offline Treehouse333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 July 13 02:24 BST (UK) »
Skoosh,
Many thanks - I'll try! Maybe it will be easier to find him as it's an uncommon name. His grandson (my grandfather) was named Francis as well but went by Frank after he immigrated to the US.

Cheers and all the best!
Tree

Offline Treehouse333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 July 13 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again -

I've included a previous researcher's notes on Francis Grant and attached his son Thomas's marriage certificate, upon which he is noted as the father. Thomas's son Francis Grant (my grandfather) was born in Golspie in 1866.

Here are the researcher's notes, if they help at all!

"FRANCIS GRANT [c1780 – c1841/1846] married HELEN MURRAY [19/12/1784-21/11/1873]
Francis was born in Sutherland.
Helen (Nelly/Ellen) was born in Dornoch, daughter of Alexander Murray and Ann Gordon (DC).
From about 1810 to at least 1819, Francis and Helen were living in Dornoch parish.
By 1824 they were in Golspie parish, probably already at Backies.
In 1826 Francis is shown on the militia list at Backies, age over 30, unable to serve due to poverty and children.
In 1834 while living at Backies, Francis made a donation to the Duke of Sutherland monument.
In 1841 Francis was an agricultural labourer in Backies, Golspie with his children. Helen was not at home.
Between 1841 and 1846 Francis died.
In 1846 a sketch map of Backies shows a cottage as belonging to Widow F. Grant with 1 acre of land.
In 1851 Helen was head of household. She was an agricultural labourer, a pauper with 1 acre of land at Backies. She was said to be 60 years of age but is older.
In 1861 Helen was at Backies, her house known as Widow Grant’s place. Only her daughter Betsy was with her.
In 1871 Helen was now said to be 85 years old and a crofter living in High Hill Cottage, Golspie with daughter Betsy. She is probably still in Backies.
In 1873 Helen died, a widow, at Backies, Golspie. Her death certificate describes her as a tenant."

Courtesy: Christine Stokes

I really think this might be as far back as I can go, but thought I'd give it one last shot. I should have included all this information at the outset ::)