Author Topic: Trevor crest  (Read 5825 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Trevor crest
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
It was not unusual for someone who married into a family to adopt the crest of his wife's family.  The circunstances under which this arose were usually when the wife could not inherit her family's coat of arms and so they could not be combined.

In any other circumstances one would expect a difference to be applied to the shield.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lionrampant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comment behindthefrogs.

There appear to have been a variety of Dragon/wyvern and lion crests used by related families in their descent from Tudor Trevor though.

I don't suppose you can find the crest for any of the other related families such as Sutton of Sutton family; Lewis of Galthorpe family and Deckas of Kynton, to see what crests they used for comparison?

Thanks for your time.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Your request is almost impossible to answer without a detailed pedigree of the families involved and then probably only as a result of detailed research in record offices.  Looking at general published data all I can say is that various branches of the Sutton family used a lion crest usually a demi lion or an erased head.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk