Author Topic: Where did my nan get her name "Silcock" and her sister "Flood"  (Read 4250 times)

Offline misstrace07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where did my nan get her name "Silcock" and her sister "Flood"
« on: Tuesday 30 July 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

My nan is from Falkirk and ancestors mostly from Stirlingshire.  She and her mother have the middle name "Silcock" and my great-grandmother's sister has the middle name "Flood."

Annie Silcock Lonie (nee Nicol) born: 22 March 1889
parents: James Nicol born abt 1856, Agnes Davie born 25 March 1855
sister: Agnes Flood Nicol
daughter: Annie Silcock Lonie born: 20 August 1920

While I have found records of Floods and Silcocks in neighbouring areas, I haven't yet found any linkage as I know most people received middle names of relatives.

Would anyone be able to recommend how I might start searching for this information as I'm quite new to family research.

Or do you know of the Silcocks and Floods and how my grandmother might be related?!

Thank you
MissTrace

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did my nan get her name "Silcock" and her sister "Flood"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
It is quite common to find children called after folk who are not relatives. Possibilities are friends, neighbours, employers, the minister or schoolmaster .....

In 18th century Gamrie, the name Bathia appears for girls - it was the name of the minister's wife.
In early 19th century Aberdour (the Aberdeenshire one), Samuel became popular - it was the name of the schoolmaster.
In early 19th century Lonmay the minister was William Cock - a considerable number of boys received that name.
My grandmother had an aunt called Harriet Cumine Thom - it was the name of her father's employer's wife.

So the Silcocks and Floods may not be related.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to recommend how I might start searching for this information as I'm quite new to family research.

Work back systematically until you have found as much as you can about the family.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in some credits.

Use one credit to find and five credits to download the marriage certificate of James Nicol and Agnes Davie. This will tell you the names of their parents. Also get Agnes Davie's birth certificate which, being in 1855, will tell you where her parents were born and how old they were when she was born.

This may be enough to find the baptisms of Agnes' parents, but if not, you should get their death certificates, which will tell you the names of their parents. Go for her mother first, because she should be indexed under both her married and her maiden names.

Likewise look for the death certificates of James Nicoll's parents and get the names of his grandparents. This might answer the question. There is no point speculating and guessing.

The 1881 census, by the way, lists James Nicol, 25, born Glasgow, with wife Agnes, 26, born Falkirk, son John, 2, born Falkirk, brother Alexander, 21, born Glasgow and widowed father-in-law John Davie, 58, born Falkirk. These brothers match the family of James Nicol and Helen Mitchell, whose son James was born on 13 October 1855 and son Alexander on 17 February 1860.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline misstrace07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 August 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again

GR2 - thank you for this information.  I will continue to research and look through census records.  Perhaps I will never find out!  My nan was always very specific about her name, I always got the sense it was meaningful to her.  All other relatives as far back as I can go seem to be named after family members.  I am still so curious!  :)

Forfarian - thank you for this!  I have gone back as far as James Nicol and Helen Mitchell, they are my ancestors.  I guess I get stuck with the less obvious stuff... and the little anomalies that don't seem to follow family traditions.  Thank you very much for the advice though.

MissTrace

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 August 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
My wife's father's middle name is/was the surname of an estate/land owner on which the family lived.

Regards

Malky

Offline misstrace07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 August 13 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky
How did you find this out?!  I wouldn't even know where to look if the name isn't from the family somewhere.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 August 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
This is common family knowlege. In this instance, it was seen as a mark of respect to the laird.

Regards

Malky

Offline misstrace07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 August 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
*sigh*  So difficult when it appears almost no one in our family spoke about history, traditions or our ancestors.  It is all about guessing and hoping the records I find match and make sense.
Thanks Malky.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 August 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Surnames as middle names can be a great help... sometimes. One aunt gave 4 of her 8 children such names- 1 was her maiden name, 1 (first and) surname of doctor who delivered all the children, another given first and middle name of her sister (and sister got her middle name from the name of the ship she was born on) and 4th child had Thompson as a middle name but goodness knows now where that came from.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!