Author Topic: Where did my nan get her name "Silcock" and her sister "Flood"  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did my nan get her name "Silcock" and her sister "Flood"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 August 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
My wife's father's middle name is/was the surname of an estate/land owner on which the family lived.
Regards
Malky
Hi Malky
How did you find this out?!  I wouldn't even know where to look if the name isn't from the family somewhere.
This is common family knowlege. In this instance, it was seen as a mark of respect to the laird.
Regards
Malky

I have a similar situation in a family I was researching. In my case the family lived on the estate for many years. I did some research about the Castle and discovered the middle name of one of the daughters was the surname of the owners. Your connection may not be as obvious as this. I have other surnames as middle names where I cannot find any connection at all.

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did my nan get her name "Silcock" and her sister "Flood"
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Miss Trace,
I have just joined this forum. I am Agnes' granddaughter. You have probably sorted the names out but just in case - Agnes was Agnes Sutherland Nicol, born 13-4-1893 and she married Thomas Flood in 1912. Annie and Agnes' parents were Charles Nicol born 8-3-1869 in Falkirk and Agnes Sutherland Clarkson (born Clawson) 6-8-1866 in Glasgow. Agnes Clarkson's parents were Annie Silcock and John Clawson. I did meet our Great Aunt Elsie, who emigrated about the same time, when she visited from Australia back in the 1970s.